eJPT

tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi,

I really fancy doing this one and it looks to be a great experience, however...

I see the the company wants you to post a review of the course/exam to possibly win another so there seems to be lots of 'reviews' which may have been written 'favourably'

My question is to people who have took the test but are not trying to win another, was it worth the spend? Did you learn much? Would you take it again if you could talk to a younger you? etc?

Cheers.

Comments

• JensBadaJensBada Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, I work for eLS.

The contest was not about favorable reviews, but any type of review. There are many reviews for PTS that have been posted before we started this contest in August, those still got accepted to be submitted.

Obviously I wont recommend anything since I am rather biased, but google around or use the search here in the forum, plenty of discussion about the PTS course from before August and September, explaining the hands-on focus, topics that one can learn in it and even the exam...

We recommend it as a first step into IT Security.

Cheers
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's a good course for starting in that area. Totally valid point about the reviews though, the contest just made everyone else leery that what they are reading is only trumped up to win a contest. I realize it's not "positive only" reviews, but I doubt anyone thinks they'll win with a so-so review either.

But yes, the PTS course is good for learning that material.
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I really enjoyed the eJPT, even only having the barebones version that I got access to for attending a webinar. Even the webinar was great to watch, it was a live pentest! Because I haven't gotten to watch the videos or do the labs in the course (much less the exam), I've chosen not to write a review and enter the contest. Not that I wouldn't want a free course, but I don't think my review would be comprehensive enough given the lack of material I had in the barebones. I did learn quite a few new things though. It's fun, so if nothing else, get the barebones and then upgrade for a $100 discount.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    From what I have seen posted here over the last 6 months, eJPT is getting a great reputation as a stepping point to the OSCP.
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If your only experience with security is Security+, then eJPT is a good choice to get your feet wet. But if you've got work experience in security tasks, it's not really worth it.
  • tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not too much.

More on the admin side eg firewall rules/endpoints/UAC's/folder access/mail filtering/URL blacklisting/27001 enviroment etc.

Want to see how to attack so I also know how to harden the defence.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The eJPT will give you a very basic overview with tools. You won't go into much depth with the materials like the eCPPT course would provide.
    I enjoyed the eJPT and encourage people to take it if they're starting off or want to get a little idea of what pentesting deals with. I did have fun (took me almost the whole time to complete the exam) but I also learned a few things.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    eJPT was an awesome course and I learned a lot. It's one thing to learn about tools and do multiple choice exam and it's another thing to do it lab based. eJPT is 100% lab based which I find extremely valuable!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Having kids may be an issue when taking the exam due to the noise so need to judge about taking days off.

From what skill level did you guys take it and how long to complete the exam ( not the course )
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Triplea,

It depends all on you. It took me almost the whole time to complete the test. I don't know what skills could be measured but I played with nmap for the most part. I had no idea about changing routes in the routing table of the OS to reach a website. Had no experience with Hydra or Ncrack... Nor the sql tools.

You can go through the course, take notes and do the labs until your comfortable doing them without the notes and then take the test. There has been people who have completed the test in about five hours. But I took like two days... lol I did mess up though.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    Anyone attempted the OSCP after the eJPT and eCPPT.
    How did they find the OSCP material and labs with the knowledge gained from the above two