Why is the RHCSA so expensive?

PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
Especially in the UK?

I want to do this cert, but the thought of failing it and having to pay another £420 every time fills me with dread. Are there ever any exam offers, like second shot for MS exams etc?
Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
Working on - RHCE

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Work so that you don't fail or greatly reduce the risk of failing.
    I've failed the A+ Sec+ CCENT+ but after time, I obtained them on the second shot. It sucks and yes they are cheaper and yes they're multichoice tests. But all that doesn't matter. What matters is how you prepare yourself.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    If you want to feel better just go look at the price of GIAC exams: $1,699
  • BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the second time you take it you have 50% discount. Thank God I've never been in that situation.
    First time I took RHCSA and RHCE the certification was about 2-3 weeks pay each. You cant imagine the stress until I got the results. In 2012 when I took RHCSA for the first time when I got the results I've read the results backwards and thought I failed, it was my wife who read it correctly.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Study the exam objectives fully and ensure you can achieve them all. If you are confident with all objectives you will not fail. Even if you fail, the potential ROI is worth it for the experience you will gain in the process and getting your foot in the door for future interviews.
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've just discovered how much this exam costs, it's easily going to be the most expensive exam I've taken to date. I need to get my study on, aiming for November sitting.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    To pay for the crappy kiosk that administers the RHCSA exam that Red Hat has so many problems with?
    Pseudonym wrote: »
    Especially in the UK?

I want to do this cert, but the thought of failing it and having to pay another £420 every time fills me with dread. Are there ever any exam offers, like second shot for MS exams etc?
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
    @jock

Actually I've taken EX405 kiosk version this march. The only issue I've got was a connection drop for about 15 minutes, I was credited with that amount of time by the proctor. The system was I7 HQ and overall experience was ok. I think RH worked very hard to improve this, maybe they already done it in the last few months.
    @bodanel

In the numerous attempts at taking the RHCSA this year, I've had nothing but problems with the Kiosk exam. I am not a fan.

- Can't scan my state id

- Harassed by the virtual proctors who say they can't see my hands, while taking the test. What do you mean? There are three cameras and a microphone watching and listening to my every move, how much more surveillance do you need? I'm a disabled vet with limited use of my right hand, so its tough enough for me to type

- Confusion on how to start the exam, on top of being nervous

- Black screen upon rebooting to test changes with no chance to try and fix other than reset the exam

- GUI failure when working one of the scenarios

- No feedback upon completing the exam

Bodanel wrote: »
    @jock

Actually I've taken EX405 kiosk version this march. The only issue I've got was a connection drop for about 15 minutes, I was credited with that amount of time by the proctor. The system was I7 HQ and overall experience was ok. I think RH worked very hard to improve this, maybe they already done it in the last few months.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
    How the F/*# they could not scan your ID ??? This is indeed a big issue, especially because you can show your ID to one of the HD cameras for verification.
    My proctor was very clear with the instructions on how to start the exam, how to check for time etc, I think you've had a poorly prepared proctor.

For GUI failure I think it's one issue you have to take into account, it may happen also on the job. It's not great but I think you should be prepared for it.

If I understood everything correctly I think the main issue you've got was a poorly prepared proctor who didnt knew how to manage the exam. Just my 2 cents.
    What proctor are to talking about? Both the physical and virtual proctors are worthless and just always come back with "the system is working normally."
    Bodanel wrote: »
    If I understood everything correctly I think the main issue you've got was a poorly prepared proctor who didnt knew how to manage the exam. Just my 2 cents.

-unknown
    Both.

When I've had the connection drop after the link came online the proctor told me he noticed the issue, asked my how much time did I loose and credited that time. Maybe you should raise the issue to RH directly if you didnt already do it.