2017 Thread about VIRL PE and GN3

denfrombedenfrombe Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I'm considering to get the VIRL licence from CISCO in order to build all my wanted Labs for the rest of my CCNP exams (I already got the 300-101), the target is now 300-115 for end of December.

I read few things about VIRL and it seems pretty good.

As you can read on this link
The most reasons why VIRL is better than GN3 is that everything is well supported and simulated by VIRL.
L2, L3 all IOS and model + third vendors images + excellent support from CISCO. Which is very interresting.

Let's say that the negative point is the price & the hardware requirement.

Is someone has experience on VIRL ?

Thx in advance,
Denis

Comments

• Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    I haven't used virl but everything you have said is a positive is also fully supported in gns3
  • urstuffplz1urstuffplz1 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My VIRL subscription recently expired and I have moved to Eve-NG (Eve-NG). It offers the same as VIRL, it is easier to setup (VIRL is a pain to get your head around initially) and also supports an absolute ton of images internally (you do need to get your own images, which is the only downside). Both are good, but I won't be going back to VIRL with the cost of it each year.
    2018 Goals: CCNP Route 300-101[X], CCNP Switch 300-115[X], CCNP T'Shoot 300-135[X], VCP-DCV 6[], 70-412[], 70-413[], 70-414[]
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The biggest difference is legitimate access to images through VIRL vs less legitimate means of acquiring images for use in GNS or EVE-NG. While I don’t like $200/year as much as the next person, if I am actively studying for a cert that $200 is well spent.
  • denfrombedenfrombe Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Welly_59 wrote: »
    I haven't used virl but everything you have said is a positive is also fully supported in gns3
    As I read, no all Layer 2 operations work in GNS3, in top of that I understand that few manual manipulation are required to make it more or less working..
    It seems still limited.

thomas_ wrote: »
    While I don’t like $200/year as much as the next person, if I am actively studying for a cert that $200 is well spent.
    Indeed, $200 per year isn't a lot compared to what this service provides.

My VIRL subscription recently expired and I have moved to Eve-NG (Eve-NG)
    If I understand correclty, VIRL is a linux server to run on whatever machine we want, a then client remote connects on it via the browzer.
    Does is mean that I'm free to delocate my server installation somewhere and remote login from outside, via a VPN that i'll built ?
  • Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    Layer 2 is as well emulated in gns3 as it is in virl. Just need the right image