300-115 SWITCH failed

cablagecablage Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well I just took the SWITCH exam and unfortunately failed. To top it off I accidentally submitted a 4-part question after only answering the first question. Can't believe I did that, but I'm certain that wasn't the only reason.
I used Chris Bryant's videos and book primarily, though I also used itpro.tv which included transcender exams. I gotta say that these materials arent enough detailed to help you pass. I wouldn't even say I needed to lab more- I felt ok with configuring and cli verifying, and I've used a 3 switch lab that felt adequate. I guess I wasnt expecting the level of detail on protocols. Can't blame anyone but myself for that, I know these level of details are public knowledge on Cisco's site.
This is the first time I've failed a cert exam, not gonna lie- it stings a bit. Nothing to do but get back up and study harder. I was pretty close to passing, so I'm hoping second time around will be a pass rather than another donation to the pockets of Cisco. I think I also miscalculated what was going to be covered. Aw well, I'll still have that knowledge if it shows up next time on the exam. If the exams are to prove I have the knowledge and skills to be a ccnp, then I have some work to do.
Good luck to everyone on the road to CCNP,
especially to those of us temporarily knocked down.
2018 Goals:
CCNP R&S: SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ]
JNCIS-ENT [X]
CWNA [ ]

Comments

• slushpuppyslushpuppy Banned Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ROUTE be the same pain in that area, the level of details Keith B goes into, why I highly recommend him.

Also I love Chris an his videos, though he's done a piss poor job updating to the CCNP topics as even I could see us
  • albinorhino187albinorhino187 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I thought Bryant's videos were pretty good for switch. I also watched the CBT nuggets, read "How to Master CCNP Switch" by rene molenaar, and did his labs several times on gns3vault.com.

The config guide for the 3750x is pretty large, but it can be helpful to skim it, and maybe take note of any lists, tables, bullet points, key facts, etc about the various topics on the exam blueprint.
    CCIE RS - Written (Goal: July 2019) [ ] Lab [ ]
  • cablagecablage Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In terms of quality, I did like the Bryant videos and definitely did learn a lot of useful info that did come in useful for the exam- I just feel like I may have relied too heavily on his material, which isnt enough- at least on the questions I was dealt.
    The good thing about failing is that it definitely reveals gaps in one's knowledge, so I feel I have a more direct sense of what I need to focus in on.
    Admittedly I work with Juniper all the time and have almost now day-to-day contact with Cisco switches (outside my own studies/labbing), so I just need to hit it harder on the Cisco side of things.
    2018 Goals:
    JNCIS-ENT [X]
    CWNA [ ]
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    You will get it next time!
    I failed TSHOOT twice!
    Never give up!
  • Harry RolesHarry Roles Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am pretty sure you will nail it down next time, it sounds like you may just need to get some more hands-on practice.

I have my test scheduled in two days - we'll see.
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    You will get it next time!
    I failed TSHOOT twice!
    Never give up!

Thanks! I am determined to get it!
    2018 Goals:
    JNCIS-ENT [X]
    CWNA [ ]
    I am pretty sure you will nail it down next time, it sounds like you may just need to get some more hands-on practice.

I have my test scheduled in two days - we'll see.

Here's hoping you pass it the first time!
    2018 Goals:
    JNCIS-ENT [X]
    CWNA [ ]
  • Harry RolesHarry Roles Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • SkirekSkirek Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I feel ya man. I failed SWITCH a couple weeks ago. I felt so confident going in. If you got the cash, buy the BOSON exams. It comes with three separate exams and they're pretty detailed and they give you a gauge of where you're at.

I used similar materials like you did. Ended up falling on my face on the exams.

We'll get there man. Since we're both studying for it, if you wanna chat/study sometime, hit me up.
    Well I took this exam again a couple days ago and passed this time! I did a lot more labbing this time around which really helped solidify concepts in my mind compared to book learning/video watching. Taking a couple months off of Cisco to work on Python but I'll begin studying for ROUTE probably beginning in April.
    Good luck everyone in your studies! Don't let failing an exam stop you!
    2018 Goals:
    JNCIS-ENT [X]
    CWNA [ ]
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    way to go man! did you focus on those little trivia details more?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • MuddlesMuddles Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass and good job with not giving up! icon_cheers.gif