Security+ Tips and Advice

blackbearblackbear Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone,

After lurking on this site for awhile I decided to register. I hope to grow together with everyone in this community :)

I am currently going to study for the Security+ certification I plan to use it as a way to get a internship in Arizona.
I recently acquired Darill Gibson's Study Guide for the SY0-401. I plan on using this and Professor Messer's videos to prep for the exam.
I'd like to receive any tips you recommend me to take I am new to InfoSec and I'd appreciate any past advice you have from your experience.

Best Regards,
Blackbear

Comments

• mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hello Blackbear,

Print out the exam objectives and check off the areas one by one as you go through the book and the videos. If you still didn't fully grasp the content, then research further. When going through practice questions, understand why the correct answers are correct, and incorrect are incorrect.

During the exam. use process of elimination on everything and not don't just pick the first correct answer that you see.

Good luck.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    blackbear wrote: »
    Hello Everyone,

After lurking on this site for awhile I decided to register. I hope to grow together with everyone in this community :)

I am currently going to study for the Security+ certification I plan to use it as a way to get a internship in Arizona.
    I recently acquired Darill Gibson's Study Guide for the SY0-401. I plan on using this and Professor Messer's videos to prep for the exam.
    I'd like to receive any tips you recommend me to take I am new to InfoSec and I'd appreciate any past advice you have from your experience.

Best Regards,
    Blackbear

After you go through all the material get the measure up practice exam for sec plus. Shoot for 90% on all questions for at least 5-10. Once you get to this point you should be ready for the ezam
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • upmhh20upmhh20 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    [FONT=&quot]I recommend the messer's videos's guide as the primary study source but if you’ve already been studying from another source and want to test your readiness with some practice test questions, you might like to check out the videos as well[/FONT]
  • tuxedoturtletuxedoturtle Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You are on the right path with Gibson's book. Did you get just the book or did you get his Full Access Study Package. I ended up getting both and found his practice test useful but didnt really like the format. Generally when I come across an objective I dont understand in the book I go out to either plurlsight or cbtnuggets and see what they have for it I think they both have 30 day trials. I agree with mikey88 just print out the objectives and mark them complete as you understand them in your course. Good luck on studying!
  • koolaid002koolaid002 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm doing the same thing. I'm also using the cybrary.it website and phone app to study for this. Good luck

http://cybrary.it/