Should I cancel my 680 Windows 7 exam and do 698 Windows 10 instead?

bluescorpion33bluescorpion33 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Hi, I am currently working as an office clerk but I want to start a career in IT as I am good with commuters and have passion for them. I have also already worked as IT support for few months before (though that was few years ago before I went to university which didn't worked out as planned). So I already have a CompTIA A+ certification and I started to prepare for the 70-680 Windows 7 Configuring exam from March this year and I had the exam booked for May but due to some family problems I have had to reschedule the exam a few times and now I have this exam booked for the 11th of September.

I am pretty much all prepared for the 70-680 Windows 7 exam and I pretty confident that I will pass it if it take it, however I am beginning to doubt if whether a Windows 7 certification is still worth it now and if I should rather cancel the Windows 7 exam and use that money to do a the 70-698 Windows 10 exam instead, for which I have also studied a bit on the side.

Would employers prefer to see the new Windows 10 certification on my CV/Resume over now the old Windows 7 certification, even though I think most business still use Windows 7?

Any advice regarding this would be very helpful. Thanks.
[/FONT][/FONT]

Comments

• ben2techben2tech Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, do the Windows 10 one. Forget employers perspective, Win 10 has plenty of new features compared to Seven.
  • UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    Also remember that there are loads of people out there with Windows 7 certs and only modest numbers with Windows 10.

Most companies are looking for staff with skills they need now or need soon, and since Win10 is being rolled out to pretty much all companies who use Windows then it makes you more attractive to them.

Look ahead, not behind is my motto - unless you are somewhere famous for ninjas sneaking up behind you then I recommend a hat with mirrors to see both ways... ;)
  • malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    UncleB wrote: »
    Also remember that there are loads of people out there with Windows 7 certs and only modest numbers with Windows 10.

Most companies are looking for staff with skills they need now or need soon, and since Win10 is being rolled out to pretty much all companies who use Windows then it makes you more attractive to them.

Look ahead, not behind is my motto - unless you are somewhere famous for ninjas sneaking up behind you then I recommend a hat with mirrors to see both ways... ;)

I agree with the above. Study for the technology of tomorrow, not present, it will benefit you later down the line. That's why did Windows 10 then Server 2016 instead of 2012.
    I
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Honestly, I've got to respectfully disagree. If you're ready to take the Win 7 exam, why not take both?
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    Pseudonym wrote: »
    Honestly, I've got to respectfully disagree. If you're ready to take the Win 7 exam, why not take both?

The OP did mention they wanted to put the money to the Win 10 exam instead of Win 7 which implied that cost was an issue - that was the reason for the direction of the advice.

If cash isn't an issue then I agree - take as many exams as you are ready for so long as it helps your career.