CISSP help on determing strength on each domain

ShadabdabdabShadabdabdab Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Anybody have any tips ironing out concepts per domain? I'm current on domain 3 and I'm reading Conrad and sybex 7. One right after the other each chapter.

Comments

• DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would definitely watch the Cybrary videos to help iron out the concepts. Kelly does a fantastic job pointing out the key points that will help assist you when you are going through the other sources of literature. Try focusing on book at a time. Reinforce those concepts by doing the end of the chapter quizzes as well.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am currently preparing for CISSP too. My objective is to write the test mid december.
    I have read many books (Sybex, part of the CBK, part of Shon Harris, now Conrad) one after the other. I did the SSCP meanwhile too. Now I am at the stage of paralele domain study. I am now reading each domain in Conrad's book, then doing a bunch of question on this domain. Evaluate and study weak area in this domain. After the a domain is complete, I do a few question on previous domain to keep me fresh.

Now, I am almost ready in 6 domains. I hope to have enough time to make a full 250 questions test with a new question bank so I can get a real feel of my preparation.
  • laurieHlaurieH Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Either testing yourself as you go along with flashcards and/or doing practice questions is a good way to gauge your progress. When I studied I didn't worry about which domain was which however as I went chapter by chapter in the Official Study Guide and made sure I had covered all the topics as I went through.
    CCNA - expired
    CISSP - live n' kickin'
    My CISSP study apps
    My CISSP study advice blog
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Get an exam simulator like Boson and do varying lengths of practice exams, then look at how you did in each domain. I would avoid doing long exams, maybe 10-30 questions, so you don’t burn through the bank of questions and you can make sure to focus.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    Get an exam simulator like Boson and do varying lengths of practice exams, then look at how you did in each domain. I would avoid doing long exams, maybe 10-30 questions, so you don’t burn through the bank of questions and you can make sure to focus.

Judge your strenght and readyness from one question pool... then start doing full exam from "virgin" question pool... so you can really tell if you are ready. Don't burn too much question bank.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Honestly, from a study perspective, I would not take full length exams more than maybe once or at most twice. There are only so many practice questions out there and once you burn them, it isn't helpful anymore...and considering the exam will burn hundreds of questions, you are going to kill a bank very quickly. I would start a study session with 10 questions or so, and end the session with 10-20 more questions. You can start ramping up the amount of questions the closer you get to your exam date...perhaps go to 30 questions, then 40, then 50, etc.

If you decide to take a full length exam, I would do it about a week or two before your actual exam...but again I probably wouldn't even recommend somebody going through the pain.