Counteract sedentary life?

sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
What have you guys done to offset the problems of sitting all day?

I recently joined Muay Thai. It takes into account things I hate doing. Cardio, and loosening up my hips.

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have toddler at home I have to chase around... Does that count?
  • sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□

Do you lift with your legs and not with your back?
  • unrealskillz06unrealskillz06 Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Either gym during lunch or a run after work. I try to make sure I break a sweat once a day at the LEAST
  • sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Also I bike about 13 miles a day round trip to and from work, but I don't really count that because I pig out as soon as I get to work and undo the whole ride lol
  • PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ex-personal trainer. 2 times a week I smash myself in the gym until I can barely lift anymore weight. Workout with a partner. Does enough for me and doesn't take long. :)
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • PersianImmortalPersianImmortal Member Posts: 124 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I normally take short walks around my building or the campus. But I'm a bit lucky though, as my job sort of affords me to step away from the desk at times. I also run late nights :)
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I approve MT, totally worth it.

For me, I did judo in the past, these days I lift free weights in my basement where I have a full-blown cage and a set of weights, also the company pays for a gym. Once a year I do a 5K obstacle mud run + preparations for it. Also plan to join a boxing gym in a while.
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Taking a walk recurrently during the day (Or standing for a bit, if possible), is good for a bit of exercise as well as keeping you alert.

If you don't like cardio, find a variant that you enjoy more than others. Stair climber, sprints, circuits, etc. Plenty of variation to not get bored.

Weight lifting is big. People think it's for getting you big, but it's also for getting you lean if you do it right. Take on the big three: Bench press, squat, and deadlift (Unless you have back problems, then you may have to find alternatives).

Surround yourself with some social support/communities (Even a meetup). This may sound stupid, but it really does help with keeping you going and motivated (I'm not saying you can't keep yourself motivated, but its supplementary).

I won't be the guy to tell you to eat healthy or less. That's on you, but it always helps knowing a bit about it.

Do some pushups in the office. Make a contest with some of your coworkers if they're comfortable doing so.

Buy a kettlebell, do some curls at work.

Don't have time to go to the gym? Get a body weight program or buy your own adjustable dumbbells with a bench.

Wanna be a cheap a**? Look on Craigslist, you'll be sure to find some bargains. Just be sure to speculate about the ads first :).

Hope that helps you get your brainstorming rolling. Have fun!
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Stationary bike at home. Work provides access to semi-personal trainer(s) that come to the office twice a week and let's not discount long coffee walks in the morning with my merry band of rogues.

Still it never feels like enough but I do run out of hours in the day to get everything else squeezed in.

Good question, though.

- b/eads
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    GYM 3-5 times a week

and do a physical hobby (you're doing Muay Thai, perfect example).

That's more than enough exercise to count the sedentary job we have, but not enough to counter a bad diet/overeating.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I walk about 5-6 miles every Saturday and Sunday. I cut out soda, sweet tea, and beer(except for one every few months.) That’s been enough to lose 13 pounds over the last year or so.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I get up and walk around. It is a big building and I get in about 5 miles a day. I hate sitting for long periods! If I don't exercise before I leave to work (5:30 am is my time to do it), I make time to go to the gym at lunch.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I ask in interviews "Do you have a gym onsite that I could use during my break time?" If they say no, then I immediately start to tune them out icon_lol.gif

Fitness is my life, information security is my hobby.
    of course it does!!
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I get up from my desk every change I get and go for a 30 minute walk on my lunch break.

When I'm studying at night I do planks between each activity.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I hit the local park during lunch for a 30 minute walk. I try to walk at least 5 miles every day.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    currently, work from standing desk (so constantly moving) and work out 3 days a week at a min
    past, when i used to sit at desk, 3 x 15 min breaks with a 1/2 mile walk give or take then workout 3 days a week.. forgot to add only used the stairs
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I go to the gym 1-2 times a day and I walk 3 miles per day to the office. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There is a boxing Gym a couple miles up the road. I'm thinking I'll get in on that. I can't stand cardio, but a life in manufacturing and technology has prepared me to get the hell knocked out of me and get back up.
    try a peloton bike. what a workout.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Fulcrum45 wrote: »
    I hit the local park during lunch for a 30 minute walk. I try to walk at least 5 miles every day.

^^^^this

We get an hour lunch, so I eat my lunch and drive to the park that is about 5-10 minutes away. I can get at least a mile in per day. Also, watching what I eat and counting calories has been helping me lose weight.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Try water / coffee / tea fasting. Of course seek a medical professional before engaging but I fast from time to time and love it. You can feel the toxins coming out of your pours.
    pores you mean..
  • nathandrakenathandrake Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I always go to the gym before work. I have a gym right down the street that opens at 5am, so that gives me time to get an hour workout in and then get home in time to shower and head into work.

Sometimes I'll make a stop by the gym on the way home to do a quick 20-30 min cardio session if I spent the entire day sitting at work.