Options

Microsoft 70-698 exam in 2 weeks

fantomasfantomas Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys

First post on here, so Hi.

I have got my 70-698 exam booked in a fortnight. I've been studying for the last two months or so, I've worked my way through the Sybex and MSPress books and took detailed notes. I have also watched all the CBT nuggets at least once, and I've done quite a lot of practical stuff on a VM. I've pulled out the exam criteria and re-read the MSPress book alongside the criteria, and took general notes, and re-watched the relevant CBT Nugget.

I work in IT for a medium sized company and do a mix of Windows 10/8.1 and Server 2012 support.

I feel like I've done a lot of studying for it, but when I come to take the Measure Up tests, I am failing with an average score of around 60%. I have done 3 full practice tests, and a couple of practice tests on each of the 3 main areas.

Having gone through all the studying above, I thought I had a pretty good grasp of it but it seems not. I do fine on the end of chapter reviews in the Sybex and MSPress books.

I was just wondering how close the Measure Up tests really are compared to the actual exams.

Just getting a bit worried now icon_sad.gif

Thanks
Matthew

Comments

• Options
    PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What areas does it say you are missing on? Perhaps we can pick out things to focus on. I did my MCSA for Windows 10 a couple months back, so perhaps some experience might help in areas?
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • Options
    Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies, I found that I was weakest in the Managing & Maintaining Windows section, followed by Configure and Support Core Services and seemed to be OK with the Implement Windows section.

I found the toughest questions to be the ones where you have to place certain steps in the correct order to be really tricky.

I've been re-reading the books and making another set of notes and ticking off each section on the exam criteria, which is helping. Although, I think Skyliinez92s suggestion on doing the practical stuff will definately help, especially with the correct order questions. I totally get the point about Measure Up overload as well, I just wanted to get a gauge on the similarity of Measure Up to the real exams.

I did have some trouble with Backups, so I'm going to go back over that. I do have a decent understanding of TCP/IP etc, but subnetting and IPv6 is not something I am strong on, but don't want to spend too much time on it really in lieu of something that might be more useful.

Thanks very much for responding, I'm committed to getting this exam, just finding it tough going doing Self Study this time around. MTA was a breeze in comparision :)

Cheers
    Matthew
  • Options
    Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies.

The weakest area was Manage & Maintain Windows, followed by Configure & Support Core Services, and I generally did OK on Implement Windows.

The trickiest questions for me were the ones where you have to put certain steps in the correct order.

I've been re-reading the MSPress book and ticking off each section of the Exam Syllabus as I go, which has helped me focus a bit more. I get the point about overdoing the practice tests, so I'm going to give it rest on them, and focus on doing some practical stuff.

Also, does the exam cover the new 1703 build of Windows 10 ? I've noticed that the section on ICD tool that is demonstrated in the MSPress book isn't supported in the new version. Should I still learn that, or use the newer version ?

Hopefully, I'll be ready when the time comes :)

Thanks again for your help, and I'll keep you updated.
  • Options
    PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Definitely still learn the ICD. The information there carries over to the new Configuration Designer.
    The exam I had (and I imagine what you will have) focuses on the Anniversary Update (1607).
    It sounds like you've already got a handle on your training, as you're doing the right thing by checking sections as you go.

If you've watched the CBT nuggets videos, make sure you're doing the virtual labs that go with them. Muscle memory is worth so much in those exams.
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • Options
    malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CBT Nuggets is what helped me pass my exam. I had the press book but never bothered with it.

70-698 is definitely all muscle memory and virtual labs do help.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• Options
    Hi Everyone

Thought I should put an update on, I took the 70-698 exam this morning, and passed it with a score of 862, so really happy with that.

Ticking off the exam objectives as I went through the Microsoft Press book really helped. I did also use CBT nuggets to supplement that. I took a tonne of notes, but didn't really refer to them much, I just find writing stuff out helps me remember it.

I did also do quite a lot of labbing on VMs which helped. I did soem Measure Up practice tests too, but didn't do too well on those, although it was useful for reviewing incorrect answers.

Got some good help from here, so onto the 70-697 which is booked in for mid December. Hopefully I'll be an MCSA by Christmas :)

Thanks for the pointers and help here guys.
  • Options
    malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well done, hopefully you get 70-697 done easily too.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    BrianArcher94BrianArcher94 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    fantomas wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

Thought I should put an update on, I took the 70-698 exam this morning, and passed it with a score of 862, so really happy with that.

Ticking off the exam objectives as I went through the Microsoft Press book really helped. I did also use CBT nuggets to supplement that. I took a tonne of notes, but didn't really refer to them much, I just find writing stuff out helps me remember it.

I did also do quite a lot of labbing on VMs which helped. I did soem Measure Up practice tests too, but didn't do too well on those, although it was useful for reviewing incorrect answers.

Got some good help from here, so onto the 70-697 which is booked in for mid December. Hopefully I'll be an MCSA by Christmas :)

Thanks for the pointers and help here guys.

Hi

Congratulations on passing your 70-698 exam.

I am scheduled to sit the 70-698 exam soon and was wondering if you had any additional study advice?

I have gone through pluralsight and CBT Nuggets videos and labs, read the Microsoft Exam Ref book and used Transcender practice exams provided by CBT Nuggets. I have also built my own lab on VMs to practice with.

Just wondered if you think these materials go into enough detail to pass the exam?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • Options
    Hi Brian

Sounds like you've got a good study plan going on already. When I first started I read the Microsoft Exam Ref book and made notes after each chapter. I also watched the CBT Nuggets/ It was when I went back through the notes and books and ticked them off against the actual exam objectives that it really started to sink in.

I would also say that building your own lab machines is really useful, the Hands-On labs in the CBT Nuggets are useful, but I found it much easier to have a few Hyper-V VMs built, especially for stuff like Storage Spaces etc.

I did a MeasureUp practice test once I had read through the books, and didn't do very well, about 40% !! I never actually got a pass on the MeasureUp tests, although did get up to around 70%. I did find the practice tests harder than the actual exam so if you are there or there abouts with the practice tests I would say you are in with a good shout.

Keep doing what you are doing and you should be fine.

Good luck with the exam :)