Confused! Job or Interview?

yuddhidhtiryuddhidhtir Member Posts: 196 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi all, I need some suggestions and help me to make a decision. About me - I am into Desktop\System admin profile for more than four years. I left my last job after 9 months due to the work environment, which also made me contemplate leaving IT. Thankfully I rekindled my love for IT again. Currently I am unemployed from last 3 months. My future plan is to specialize, mostly in SQL,DBA.

1- Job Offer- I got an offer but the salary was less than what I was getting in my last job. After discussing with the HR for a week, they offered 5 % hike but when I received the offer letter it was still a little less than what was decided. I don't mind that but the problem is they don't pay salary on time and also the increments,promotion as per Glassdoor reviews.

2- Interview - I attended the interview earlier this month. I got a call a week later that I cleared the first round and have to clear another final round. Next week I receive an email congratulating me that I am selected and have to provide scan copy of documents. After providing the documents I called the recruiter, he said that I still have to clear the final round, which was weird. A day before the scheduled interview he emailed me that interview has been postponed to next week. Since I am suppose to join on Monday, so I requested him if the interview could be held this week as I have an offer, he said no. In fact he said if you got an good offer go for it. He seemed annoyed from his tone and was not helpful at all.

So should I go for the job or wait for the interview?. Apologize for the long post and thanks for reading.
“Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment; full effort is full victory.”

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    The job.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    Take the job - if you wait and it doesn't work out then you are still unemployed and walked out on a certain position.

A short term perm job on your CV is going to raise flags with future employers so try to avoid adding more short term ones or a sustained period out of work if you can help it - get back to working, develop your skills and repair that damage to your CV while making the most of the experience of the new place.

If you start to find the same problems in this role as in the last one then the problem could well be you - keep a close eye on if you start to feel the same and let us know as this could be an issue you need to work through otherwise it could repeat. These things are manageable.

Congrats on the offer - I would grab it with both hands in your situation.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    UncleB wrote: »
    A short term perm job on your CV is going to raise flags with future employers..

He could always leave it off his resume :]
    He's already unemployed... so if the new place is a disaster... No real penalty for leaving.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So should I go for the job or wait for the interview?. Apologize for the long post and thanks for reading.

You joking right? You been unemployed for 4 months and do not hold any specialized experience or certifications. Banking on your MCTS Exchange cert they retired 5 years ago? What exactly are you holding out for? The simple fact is employers know they can offer a lower salary to unemployed workers and often they will take it. It's not like you have any leverage to demand more money. Take the job, if you unhappy with your level of compensation, look for another job that pays better while your employed.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hi all, I need some suggestions and help me to make a decision. About me - I am into Desktop\System admin profile for more than four years. I left my last job after 9 months due to the work environment, which also made me contemplate leaving IT. Thankfully I rekindled my love for IT again. Currently I am unemployed from last 3 months. My future plan is to specialize, mostly in SQL,DBA.

1- Job Offer- I got an offer but the salary was less than what I was getting in my last job. After discussing with the HR for a week, they offered 5 % hike but when I received the offer letter it was still a little less than what was decided. I don't mind that but the problem is they don't pay salary on time and also the increments,promotion as per Glassdoor reviews.

2- Interview - I attended the interview earlier this month. I got a call a week later that I cleared the first round and have to clear another final round. Next week I receive an email congratulating me that I am selected and have to provide scan copy of documents. After providing the documents I called the recruiter, he said that I still have to clear the final round, which was weird. A day before the scheduled interview he emailed me that interview has been postponed to next week. Since I am suppose to join on Monday, so I requested him if the interview could be held this week as I have an offer, he said no. In fact he said if you got an good offer go for it. He seemed annoyed from his tone and was not helpful at all.

Go for the job only if the culture seems right! Do the people seem nice? Did you like the interviews?
    As as far the recuiter being mad....well he probably got upset you got an offer from someone else.

Re cutters at least most of them care if you get job,but only if it's the job they're offering to you !!!
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would take the Job rather then wait. You can always search for another job while working at the main job. The importance here is that you get back into the workforce and start working again.

Its easier to find a new job when you have one.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • yuddhidhtiryuddhidhtir Member Posts: 196 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thank you all for your help and suggestions!:). I asked the very question to all of my close friends, family as well as former colleagues and the answer was the same; go for the job offer. But i didn't joined the company, in fact I was dressed on Monday and about to buy the train ticket but could not convince myself. It was a very tough decision of my life, I waited at the station, went to a park and thought about my future. Family supported me, HR was very angry as not only I didn't joined that day but also the very next day; Actually I called HR on Monday that I will join on Tuesday . Yeah it was my fault, I apologized to her. She also threatened that I will be blacklisted before my apology.

So the Interview, the Recruiter never called me for the last round. After few days, I got a call after 7 in the evening from a different recruiter about a job in an non-IT domain. I explained her that I am more into core IT and have some 4 years of experience. she checked with someone and told me that they have a opening for an Help desk position. My first thought was to ignore it but since the company she mentioned is a reputed company in my country and also I knew that I may get some good hike. Went to the interview and got selected after 3 rounds. I almost doubled my salary and this will really help me pay my loans and debts.

So it will be a month after few days in this company.I am still in training. The role does include answering calls but very minimum and I may be doing remote desktop most probably. The work environment here is friendly and employee tend to stay here for a long time. The manager who took my last round was very understanding and even said that he will help me move to a different core IT department but only after 2 years. I am not sure whether I will get to move to a core IT but overall I am happy.

I know it's a long post but thanks for reading. I am here in this forum since 2008 and even passionately recommended this forum and spiceworks to all of my former colleagues, For this very reason they used to tease me , off course in a friendly manner. Hence felt like to share the personal experience with this forum. Have a great day.
    “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment; full effort is full victory.”
    Well I still would have gone for the job....

BUT

I hope everything works out for you and what matters the most is that YOU are happy.... we can make all the suggestions in the world but if you aren't happy then that is a problem....

May the IT Gods guide you to great success in your future!icon_cheers.gif
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
    Nice to hear everything worked out for you in the end, but the smart money would have taken the first job offered. You still could have looked for something better while working, not to mention having a job gives you more leverage when negotiating for salary for another job. In short you got lucky, but smart money doesn't bank on luck.
    TechGromit wrote: »
    smart money doesn't bank on luck.

May I use this as a quote on my profile? I like it
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    But i didn't joined the company, in fact I was dressed on Monday and about to buy the train ticket but could not convince myself. It was a very tough decision of my life, I waited at the station, went to a park and thought about my future. Family supported me, HR was very angry as not only I didn't joined that day but also the very next day; Actually I called HR on Monday that I will join on Tuesday . Yeah it was my fault, I apologized to her. She also threatened that I will be blacklisted before my apology.

That was a dumb move. It's great you found a job and all but you burned a bridge. Companies, recruiters and HR also talk so it's not just the one bridge you burned but several. It's far easier to recover from this when you're starting out that when you're one of the top three people in the city with a certain skill-set. It's okay to back out of an interview, just don't beg for forgiveness than do it again the next day.
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    May I use this as a quote on my profile? I like it

Sure, I'll have my lawyers draw an agreement.