Options

Going through the disk management material, have a question

boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I am just labbing and playing around with disk partitioning while I study the A+ material just so I can solidify the knowledge and I recently purchased a new computer through Cybertron. They are not using a EUFI bios utility (outdated) and an MBR disk partition table.

My question is, let's say I want to update the BIOS and reformat my partition table as GPT rather than MBR is there a way to do that without losing all my data and will that allow me to create a RAID 3 array out of a single hard drive?

Just wanting to play around here.
Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First, good questions. When you change from MBR to GPT you will lose all of your data. There is no way around that, at least not that I know of (which means that there may be 3rd party tools of which I am not aware). Second, I don't know of any way to make a true RAID 3 (or any other type of RAID) using a single disk. If you are thinking about creating four partitions on one drive and using Disk Management to create a faux-RAID 3 set up, then I guess you could do that, though I have no experience with that.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Hmmm. Ok. Seems as if I can create a software based raid array on a single disk. Not sure how effective it is and thanks for answering my questions.

I guess that would essentially defeat the purpose of redundancy and parity when I really begin to think about it. Guess I'll have to purchase an actual server to play with.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It is not necessary to purchase a server, to be honest. You could buy a hardware RAID card and several hard drives (HDD would be cheapest). How many open drive bays do you have and do you have an accessible PCIe slot? Check around and you should be able to find a decent RAID card to fit your motherboard (please read the reviews first, though).
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Ahhhh ok. Manage storage spaces got it. Mike Meyer's Udemy course is very good.