What is The Best Way to Backup Wedding Pictures?

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
I just got married and the wedding pictures are on a USB. What is the best way to back these pictures up?
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Since I'm getting divorced, I say the Recycling bin works for me. Make sure you empty it and reformat your Hard Drive afterwards.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Since I'm getting divorced, I say the Recycling bin works for me.

sorry to hear that. But im in the same boat as you.

To answer the OP question....

You have many options... A WD external hard drive, dropbox, A computer HD, or if you have a share drive at home you can back them up there. I personally like the WD my cloud HD...
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Amazon glacier
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would do multiple backups. Burn them to a disk, put them on your hard drive, throw them on social media, ect. The wider the variety of backups, the less likely you are to lose them.
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    also depending on what phone you have.... if you have a Samsung Note 5 or similar... You can actually back them up using samsung cloud. I had my phone taken when I left it in a rental car that I used. The people at the company reset my phone and tried to steal it. Luckily for me the phone was off and I had all their information and reported it stolen. I got my phone back and I had everything backed up to the cloud. I synched my device and got everything back.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Amazon glacier. It costs like fractions of pennies per GB. To take it off glacier you need to have a 3rd party program or learn AWS command line, but still.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Back 'em up the same way you'd back up any other important files that you can't afford to lose. Redundancy is a good thing. Also, never let a flash drive, phone, or any other mobile/portable device be your only source of storage.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ImageShack. I paid $36 for the year for unlimited storage.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have my wedding pictures on archival DVD's, it is advertised that they have longer life.
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Since I'm getting divorced, I say the Recycling bin works for me. Make sure you empty it and reformat your Hard Drive afterwards.

Oh boy, sorry to hear that, but on a positive note, this has to be the best post of the day on TE :) Good luck in life!
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Use Mega. That way even NSA can't get to it. Caution, if you do use it, backup the key as not even Mega keeps your key for your privacy.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Make a private album on FB or Google. There will be there forever and easy to access for yourself or share with specific people. Or get a NAS device and create an album there.
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    • Avoid storing them on a service which doesn't allow you to upload the native quality (some sites will compress the images like Facebook [unless you select HD])
    • How many photos/files? If it's not alot and you don't see yourself using this as your storage method for other media going forward something like Dropbox, Drive, Box, OneDrive and friends should be fine.
    • If this is going to become a long term method of mass storage of media then you'll need to look at thing paid like Glacier as mentioned by others.
    • I would also for peace of mind also store them on multiple platforms (Drive + Glacier) for instance to protect against potentially account sabotage or loss of password/access.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    First I backup to a Google Drive, then to a few USB thumbdrive. Important file are on more than one thumbdrive.
    I like to have 1-2 USB thumb drive at home and a few at my parent's house as an off-site last-resort.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Call me old school but I just have everything on a backup hard drive that is mirror'd from my primary storage drive on my PC. Also if you have precious photos like that have you and your wife thought about printing them into an album? When my wife and I got married we just paid for that as an added service from the photographers. The album just collects dust now but we have gone back to look at it a few times since being married 7 years now.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Never reviewed my wedding pictures... So if I didn't back them up and lost them I'd be just fine.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    nas drive. However, I got married 33 years ago, no such thing of backing those things up (just negatives...) LOL
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you got Amazon Prime you get free cloud storage with their Prime Photos. Otherwise I just use an external HD.
  • jelevatedjelevated Member Posts: 139
    Whatever you do make sure you generate a SHA256 hash of them (like, now) and transport that with the files. That way you can check up on this as needed. Powershell can do this for you.