supasecuritybrosupasecuritybro Member Posts: 206 ■■■■□□□□□□
Anyone else watching the launch event?
Completed: CISSP, GPEN, GWAPT, CCSA R80, eJPT, CySA+, M.S. Information Security
Current Goal: CCSE
Continuous Education Plan:​ AWS-SAA, OSCP, CISM
Book/CBT/Study Material:​ Max Power

Comments

• fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I watched it. I think it looks legit and teaches a lot. It just sucks that the name doesn't have much recognition or weight.
  • vynxvynx Member Posts: 153 ■■□□□□□□□□
    its recommed to take this course?
  • supasecuritybrosupasecuritybro Member Posts: 206 ■■■■□□□□□□
    fabostrong wrote: »
    I watched it. I think it looks legit and teaches a lot. It just sucks that the name doesn't have much recognition or weight.

You have a SANS cert. Don't worry about name recognition at this crossroad. Get the knowledge and the hands-on at this point.
    Completed: CISSP, GPEN, GWAPT, CCSA R80, eJPT, CySA+, M.S. Information Security
    Current Goal: CCSE
    Continuous Education Plan:​ AWS-SAA, OSCP, CISM
    Book/CBT/Study Material:​ Max Power
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looks like a great course, and one day I hope to have the technical expertise to allow me to take and pass it. I'm really surprised, though, that the Barebone version costs so much.
    the price is making me shocked also ... someone know the exam would be like what ? since this is very specific topic if look at syllabus
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Expensive and not well recognized, but the knowledge you gain looks top notch. I look at it more like a course and less of the certification behind it.

It is something I plan on working my way towards, along with the OSCP.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yea, I was watching it. I think it's awesome and really advanced.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Expensive sort of, but the launch price isn't that bad.

for this week $1250 gets you up to the 'elite' package with the upgrade, which is pretty fair in the security course/cert market. The syllabus looks pretty indepth and might be a good real world compliment to something like OSCP. Hard to say. But tempting.
  • chazb0tchazb0t Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    GT-Rob wrote: »
    Expensive sort of, but the launch price isn't that bad.

for this week $1250 gets you up to the 'elite' package with the upgrade, which is pretty fair in the security course/cert market. The syllabus looks pretty indepth and might be a good real world compliment to something like OSCP. Hard to say. But tempting.

It's actually $899 for elite (50% off) if you're an existing student.
  • asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    I signed up for both PTP and PTX
    Half way done PTS
  • monkykapmonkykap Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't recommend. Tried the demo access and was not impressed. Didn't go into much detail, pointed out external resources and tools that can easily be googled. While the subject material is interesting (focus on Windows AD/PS) I think most of these topics can be found publicly and you with a little more effort try in your own lab setup which is necessary for this level of learning. Simply being able to repeat steps in the course provides no value to a Pentester.

Elearnsecurity is at a crossroads, their training is solid but too offensive focused and not industry recognized. It's too expensive to warrant paying out of pocket for enthusiasts but the quality is not high enough to warrant corporate training budget (might as well take GXPN or OffSec). Most of us are not pentesters and those that are should be able to learn these techniques w/o a course or would expect to get more out of one (there are only 4 labs).

Bottom Line: ElearnSecurity is hit or miss with their courses, depending on the author and the amount of work they put into their course. Where as every course in SANS and OffSec is quality controlled.

I would say PTP: hit, PWD: hit, PTS: miss, WPTX: miss, MASPT: miss, and now PTXP: miss

Advice: They need to spend some time introducing their brand to Fortune 500s etc. and create sharper professional marketing materials so students can get an actual return on their investment. They claim they are recognized but we all know this is not true...time to hire a real Marketing team and stop the grassroots stuff...

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I don't really care about name recognition, if you have experience and have other 'recognized' certs, then it doesn't matter. Having all the knowledge in one organised place, with labs to follow through is worth it IMHO.

I just saw the topics, seem to be about exploiting AD/Exchange/WSUS/MS SQL

Seems to be very niche...I'm torn now, should I go for this course or with the Malware reversing or the web apps pentesting
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

i have question actually, the vulnerability that they played is outdated or not ? like 14-068
    monkykap wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend. Tried the demo access and was not impressed. Didn't go into much detail, pointed out external resources and tools that can easily be googled. While the subject material is interesting (focus on Windows AD/PS) I think most of these topics can be found publicly and you with a little more effort try in your own lab setup which is necessary for this level of learning. Simply being able to repeat steps in the course provides no value to a Pentester.

Elearnsecurity is at a crossroads, their training is solid but too offensive focused and not industry recognized. It's too expensive to warrant paying out of pocket for enthusiasts but the quality is not high enough to warrant corporate training budget (might as well take GXPN or OffSec). Most of us are not pentesters and those that are should be able to learn these techniques w/o a course or would expect to get more out of one (there are only 4 labs).

Bottom Line: ElearnSecurity is hit or miss with their courses, depending on the author and the amount of work they put into their course. Where as every course in SANS and OffSec is quality controlled.

I would say PTP: hit, PWD: hit, PTS: miss, WPTX: miss, MASPT: miss, and now PTXP: miss

Advice: They need to spend some time introducing their brand to Fortune 500s etc. and create sharper professional marketing materials so students can get an actual return on their investment. They claim they are recognized but we all know this is not true...time to hire a real Marketing team and stop the grassroots stuff...

can i know you said miss and hit based on ?
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466

Are you saying you did the demo for the pTXP or for a different eLS course?
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • KhohezionKhohezion Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Probably gonna buy it because of the discount... working on the PTP right now
  • ottucsakottucsak Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The initial price is very reasonable, so I'm practically saving money for the company by buying this.
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    50% off is nice, but when the cost starts out so high, it's still a good chunk of change. Especially when Cybrary and Youtube are free resources that can be utilized, coupled with an at-home lab, $850 for this course doesn't seem worth it. I'll be passing on this one.
  • jm0202jm0202 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @monkeycap, I agree with your analysis MASPT is a great course, however on structure, labs were not finished and no support on the forums, on top of that they ask you for XYZ in the exam, and then fail you because they want more stuff for the second try.. that is totally BS. The owner has a god complex, PTX looks interesting however I will wait 1 year before taking it, give it time to have the labs and lab guides finished, I would not take it right now. also, it seems the cases they cover are outdated. MASPT looked REALLY rushed, like no QA in elearnsecurity's side. I wouldn't be surprised if they rush this cert as well, I will advice to be patient at this point about PTX
  • katawiakatawia Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jm0202 wrote: »
    @monkeycap: You indicated "I would say PTP: hit, PWD: hit, PTS: miss, WPTX: miss, MASPT: miss, and now PTXP: miss" /QUOTE]

What about eWPT (which is separate from eWPTX) and for me also what criteria did you use to rate a hit or miss?
    We can all be influenced better if you have evidence instead of going on a hunch to make recommendations/decisions on the forum.
  • monkykapmonkykap Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've taken PTS, PWD, MASPT. PWD had a lot more slides and labs and in general work put into the construction of the course and I really liked it. PTS is okay...it's a beginner course so I found it underwhelming as there are free alternatives. MASPT was definitely underwhelming and many reviews reflect that. I haven't taken PTP but from the reviews and the amount of content/labs it's easy to tell it's one of their best courses. I haven't seen any rave reviews about WAPTX, the ones i've seen all mention being "underwhelmed". A few folks who weren't high on WAPTX have been high on WAPT even though WAPTX should have more "interesting/advanced" material. My point is there was a lot more work put into construction of some courses compared to others despite the pricing being very similar. I have a "feeling" based on the demo module WSUS that PTX will be like WAPTX and "underwhelm" folks especially at the asking price. You can google most topics in any course so there should be a lot of slides/labs and videos to provide learning opportunity and it doesn't seem that is the case (they didn't advertise the number of slides/labs/videos for PTX but demo module was short and there are only 4 labs total). Generally their courses that have a lot of slides/labs/videos are have been very good, but when the don't they have been underwhelming. Each course tends to have different authors who construct the course their own way. Nothing is standardized including the exam. My two cents.
  • jm0202jm0202 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @katawia: do not want to be an influencer, however i did take eWPT, that was a HIT, good material, good labs... MAsPT not s much definitely
    a miss
    I've taken PTS, PWD, MASPT. PWD had a lot more slides and labs and in general work put into the construction of the course and I really liked it. PTS is okay...it's a beginner course so I found it underwhelming as there are free alternatives. MASPT was definitely underwhelming and many reviews reflect that. I haven't taken PTP but from the reviews and the amount of content/labs it's easy to tell it's one of their best courses. I haven't seen any rave reviews about WAPTX, the ones i've seen all mention being "underwhelmed". A few folks who weren't high on WAPTX have been high on WAPT even though WAPTX should have more "interesting/advanced" material. My point is there was a lot more work put into construction of some courses compared to others despite the pricing being very similar. I have a "feeling" based on the demo module WSUS that PTX will be like WAPTX and "underwhelm" folks especially at the asking price. You can google most topics in any course so there should be a lot of slides/labs and videos to provide learning opportunity and it doesn't seem that is the case (they didn't advertise the number of slides/labs/videos for PTX but demo module was short and there are only 4 labs total). Generally their courses that have a lot of slides/labs/videos are have been very good, but when the don't they have been underwhelming. Each course tends to have different authors who construct the course their own way. Nothing is standardized including the exam. My two cents.

Thanks for the response, the 4 labs is suspect in PTX. I wonder if they will be adding more labs.
    Reading
  • CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the response, the 4 labs is suspect in PTX. I wonder if they will be adding more labs.

I agree. I haven't purchased the course (and most likely wont) because the content outline and 4 labs looks disappointing. I was either going to buy this or The CSX-P training bundle for 50% off. The PTX course doesn't look like its worth the money even at 50% off. I was hoping that this course/exam would be a good rival to the OSCP and help give eLS' certifications more recognition. There are 0 job postings in my area asking for any eLS cert. The PTS and PTP are the only courses that I've done so far. From a knowledge perspective they're great, but the certs are worthless atm (in my area atleast).

if someone already take oscp, it is worth to take pwd and /or ptx ?
  • asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    i figured just sign up....i was going to sign up for PTP Elite - which is usually $1300 USD, and with there promotion - both courses ended up being $1800 USD....so only $500 more.... so figured perfect time....i

I will finish PTS, then do PTP and PTX and then OSCP. Only debate is if i should do CISSP before OSCP.
  • ottucsakottucsak Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    WSUS is the shortest module (bad choice for a demo), there are 110, 160 and 280 slide long modules too. I have started doing the Advanced Social Engineering part and I like it a lot. Really useful tips and information so far. For $899 it's great, but not worth $1899 IMHO.
    Another way of looking at it is by A cost-benefit analysis. Do you see the benefit in your case of $900 dollars being well spent? Think about the home server you could buy or cloud time you could get. Also consider the time it would take to set all that up. $900 dollars could be worth it for some.
    Reading
    asurania wrote: »
    i figured just sign up....i was going to sign up for PTP Elite - which is usually $1300 USD, and with there promotion - both courses ended up being $1800 USD....so only $500 more.... so figured perfect time....i

I will finish PTS, then do PTP and PTX and then OSCP. Only debate is if i should do CISSP before OSCP.
    cissp and oscp is different track ... i do pts then oscp now confuse need to take ptx or not ...
    Another way of looking at it is by A cost-benefit analysis. Do you see the benefit in your case of $900 dollars being well spent? Think about the home server you could buy or cloud time you could get. Also consider the time it would take to set all that up. $900 dollars could be worth it for some.

that's good way to calculate :) but i still think whats the personal effect after take the course. like if you buy a car, then you can go to anywhere as long as you can drive... but if you dont buy a car, then maybe can use public transportation....