Decided to get my CCNA Security...now what?

zholling10zholling10 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
hey guys,

I got my CCNA R&S in 2014 right before I finished my undergrad degree. Since then, I got a job as an application developer and haven't had the chance to use my Cisco knowledge. My CCNA R&S is up for renewal this December and I would like to get my CCNA Security if possible by then. I currently am also getting a masters degree in IT Security so I figured that paired with a CCNA Security would be a match made in heaven! So any suggestions on self study materials? I keep finding mixed reviews out there. Thanks in advance! Hope I can do this in four months.

Comments

• labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Check out Chris Bryants CCNA-SEC course on Udemy, I'm starting it once I pass my R&S here soon.
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The CBT Nuggets course is also pretty good.
  • xagreusxagreus Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From the perspective of someone who's also studying for the CCNA Security, here's my take:

+1 for Chris Bryant's CCNA Security course. It's on sale for $10 until 8/31/17. I started it earlier this month, and it's good so far. As I watch the videos, I'm filling in the exam topics line by line, and will supplement that with other online/print materials (probably the Official Cert Guide and 31 Days Before Your CCNA Security Exam).

My employer provides SkillSoft, so I'm going to check out that course, too - you might try that out, if you have access to SkillSoft.

I've never used CBT Nuggets, but I hear lots of good things about their courses.

HTH!
    A+, Net+, Sec+, CySA+, CCNA, ITIL 2011 Foundation, AWS CCP, ISC2 CC, MS SC-900, MS AZ-900
    2024 goals: AZ-900, Cloud+, Palo Alto PCNSA, CyberOps Associate, DevNet Associate, Project+
  • zholling10zholling10 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    $10 sounds like a steal haha. I will have to check that out. My employer does offer access to SkillSoft as well, that is a great place to check. Thanks for the advice and good luck with your studying! How long until you take your exam?
  • xagreusxagreus Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You're welcome!

As far as when I'll take the exam, I'm looking at the end of October. My employer may pay for a boot camp that's scheduled for Oct. 16-20, so ideally by that point I'll have gone through my primary resources (videos and books) at least once each, and will be setting up some ASAs at work and an older ASA at home. The boot camp would be a solid review right before the exam. We'll see how it goes...

Good luck with your studies, as well!
    A+, Net+, Sec+, CySA+, CCNA, ITIL 2011 Foundation, AWS CCP, ISC2 CC, MS SC-900, MS AZ-900
    2024 goals: AZ-900, Cloud+, Palo Alto PCNSA, CyberOps Associate, DevNet Associate, Project+
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I suggest you review your CCNA materials hard.

Do you have ACLs and NAT down solid? what about switchport security?

Ive also heard that the CCNA:S is crazy hard to pass currently with its terrible reading material available.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Harry RolesHarry Roles Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used Chris Bryant's and Piotr Kaluzny's videos (former iPexpert, now Novodyne) - both are great and complement each other. You can find them on Udemy with this attractive price tag of $10 or something along those lines.

I would also try some virtual equipment to get hands-on, such as EVE-NG or VIRL.

Good luck!
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    labscloud wrote: »
    Check out Chris Bryants CCNA-SEC course on Udemy, I'm starting it once I pass my R&S here soon.

Just started it!
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Jak207Jak207 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello friends,
    I need parka document 210-260.pdf
    Who has this document please sharing this us.

I just find this old one parka document.
    https://www.docdroid.net/nQa39Kt/keith-barker-cbtnuggets-parka-file.pdf

Thanks!
  • NuclearBeavisNuclearBeavis Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm working on CCNA-Sec now. I would say:

1) Keith Barker's CBT Nuggets course
    2) Some reference guide that got more than 3 stars (rules out the official cisco press book)
    3) Boson Ex-sim max.

I can't say enough good things about Boson ex-sims in general. Not only do the questions challenge you to think, but each question is often followed by a very long and detailed description of the hows and whys.
  • 2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm working on CCNA-Sec now. I would say:

1) Keith Barker's CBT Nuggets course
    2) Some reference guide that got more than 3 stars (rules out the official cisco press book)
    3) Boson Ex-sim max.

I can't say enough good things about Boson ex-sims in general. Not only do the questions challenge you to think, but each question is often followed by a very long and detailed description of the hows and whys.

+1, the Boson labs for CCNA Security are great as well.
    A+
    Network+
    CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
    ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)