Best Resources for VMs Networking and Storage?

johnITjohnIT Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
Is there any book I should buy to get the basics down on VMs and networking and storage? I don't have much Virtual Networking experience but I do have some storage experience, just not a lot. I'm just trying to understand it better for when I take the test. Thanks. I've read some technet but there's a lot of info. I'd like something more condensed and focused for the 70-410.
Working on: A+, MCSE Server 2012

Comments

• techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A surprising source but it''s free after making an account https://hyperv.veeam.com/study-guide-microsoft-certification-exam-74-409-server-virtualization-windows-server-hyper-v-system-center-4202/

Psst... the 74-409 is the easier route to MCSA, replacing the very difficult 70-412. 74-409 was easier than 70-410, 411 for me.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • johnITjohnIT Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    A surprising source but it''s free after making an account https://hyperv.veeam.com/study-guide-microsoft-certification-exam-74-409-server-virtualization-windows-server-hyper-v-system-center-4202/

Psst... the 74-409 is the easier route to MCSA, replacing the very difficult 70-412. 74-409 was easier than 70-410, 411 for me.

How much from that book is on the 70-410? If it will help me pass two tests that would be great!
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not a lot of 70-410 in that book, it's a relatively quick read but it gets you involved in hyper-v. I used the Panek books for the 70-410, 411, 412 and it was mainly sufficient but those are only half technical tests. Microsoft employs psychologists to assist in test writing, the result is a lot of logical thinking questions that try to trip you up. It's really important to read the question multiple times and fully understand it to get to the correct answer. 70-410 and 411 are still the most difficult cert tests I've ever taken, I only studied 70-412 and found 74-409 much more technical, interesting and valuable for my situation at the time.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • johnITjohnIT Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    Not a lot of 70-410 in that book, it's a relatively quick read but it gets you involved in hyper-v. I used the Panek books for the 70-410, 411, 412 and it was mainly sufficient but those are only half technical tests. Microsoft employs psychologists to assist in test writing, the result is a lot of logical thinking questions that try to trip you up. It's really important to read the question multiple times and fully understand it to get to the correct answer. 70-410 and 411 are still the most difficult cert tests I've ever taken, I only studied 70-412 and found 74-409 much more technical, interesting and valuable for my situation at the time.

Considering Hyper-V is 20% of the test this book has been extremely helpful so far. I've already memorized the differences between all the types of 2012 Server installations, and once I'm done taking notes on Hyper-V I'd say I have a good grasp on 45% of the 70-410 test. It's a bunch of useless information that I never ever needed in real life though. Who needs to know the differences between Core and GUI off the top of their heads when they aren't even looking at a server?? Obviously I hate these certs and just want to get it over with. My first test is on 11/9. By that time I should know and memorize 100% of the covered material on the test. This book and technet has made things pretty simple for me but I don't want to get overconfident here.