Options

NY IT job market

smithITsmithIT Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
How is the NYC IT job market? Is it a decent market? When I search "system administrator" for example on indeed, the results are 191 positions of which about 80 positions are not for system administrator. When I search "system administrator" on dice I get 33 positions. Is this typical for a city? Seems a little light. Then again I searched the same for Denver, CO on dice I received a result of 17 positions and for Chicago, IL I received a result of about 20.

The reason I wonder is because when I search the DMV area I receive a 1000 results on indeed. Do you have a tough time finding a job in areas other then the DMV area?

Comments

• Options
    boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I believe this is a direct byproduct of the push to move to cloud services. The need for System administrators is soft and is only going to get worse. You need a adapt or die. The only reason I think the DMV area is still strong as it is, because a lot of government organizations still host servers locally for security reasons.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @techgromit adapt to what do you know? curious...
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Options
    sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NYC born and raised. In terms of lower level work, it is hard to get into. It's probably harder to get a job paying 60k than a job paying 90k (I'm not basing this off any facts lol. Just more competition at the bottom). Get some real in demand skills (cloud services, as stated), the position is yours to lose.
  • Options
    Muhammed HMuhammed H Member Posts: 93 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Only 191 for System Administrator? That's wayyy below expectation!
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    TechGromit is right - the cloud is providing so much stuff "as a service" now that companies are more and more using a support consultancy to implement a new solution to replace and existing one (eg SQL) and with some supporting documentation it becomes easy for anyone in the IT department to manage it and report on it (especially with PowerBI now - so easy to use).

All the awkward setup, maintenance fiddling and weird quirks that used to keep system admins in a job are slowly being eroded to be taken care by a cloud solution.

It isn't for all companies but it makes life easier for so many that it it killing off the need for sysadmin in the SME space.

Time to adapt or find the job market is so tough it isn't worth the money
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    if you did a search like yesterday or something in the area, then it's going to be a little dead, since it's getting near holiday season. Also, a lot of firms haven't gotten their 2018 budgets yet, so they might not have an opening available. Another thing, people are staying to get their 2017 bonuses early next year...

and as already stated, a lot of services moving to the cloud does take away opportunities...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NYC born and raised. In terms of lower level work, it is hard to get into. It's probably harder to get a job paying 60k than a job paying 90k (I'm not basing this off any facts lol. Just more competition at the bottom). Get some real in demand skills (cloud services, as stated), the position is yours to lose.

Also born and raised and as well as also agreeing with this statement about the difficulty with lower vs higher level positions.
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)