1 hour lab - screen process

diffiediffie Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I interviewed for a job the other day and I just knew I bombed the technical interview, where they asked me a bunch of CCNA/CCNP questions. Having recently re-certified CCNP Switch in July 2017, I didn't realize until the first question, I completely ignored maintaining my route knowledge.

[FONT=&amp]"Can you explain to me what split horizon is?" Alex, I'd like to use a life line.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Seriously..I total blanked it out. It was more than that...I forgot 100% what that was.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Surprisingly, they'd want me to come in and do a 1 hour lab. All I know about this lab is that it's Cisco routing/switching and it is the 2nd part of a screening process.

Having been a member of this forum for just a short time, I noticed that I'm like many of the users on this board, I under estimate my knowledge. I obviously passed the 1st screen but seriously, you want interview me again when I blanked on what "split horizon" is?[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Ok, let’s assume I didn’t do as bad as I thought I did.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]My challenge...today...is I realize I'm weak on route. I learned that the hard way...thank you...but (excuse alert) in my current job, I don't do Cisco, I'm in the working with Zhone DSLAMs, Pico, Harmonics and CASA CMTS...not familiar with those acronyms or vendors? Ok throw in Allied Telesis Firewalls and understand I wasn't either until I got this job. lol.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]But seriously...I'm hoping a few of you were in this situation and can share some helpful tips with me because right now, I'm on page 1 of 12504 (another exaggeration) of the Cisco Routing Cert book. I'm sure, many of you, during the interviewing process were asked to complete a lab, and are willing to share with me what you were asked to do.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I realize....you need what the job description is....here you go...Health Care.....company....[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
Job Description: The network engineer, under general supervision, is responsible for the technical design, configuration and implementation of local and wide area network solutions between multiple platforms including ongoing technical support to remote area networks, internet and other communications. Provides project management for technical network design and installations. Possesses extensive knowledge of multi-protocol systems and implementation experience with multi-vendor network systems. Responsible for troubleshooting network usage, workstations and other peripherals.
Education Level
Associate’s Level Degree – Experience in lieu of education: Yes

Experience
Required: Related – 3 years

Preferred: None, unless noted in the “Other” section below
License
None, unless noted in the “Other” section below

Skills
Required:

Preferred: None, unless noted in the “Other” section below
Other
Three to four years of experience that includes network design, operation support, hands-on implementation, and configuration of routers, switches, firewalls, and other network equipment. Maintain or be willing to obtain appropriate proficiency/certification/training in applicable discipline within 6 months, as appropriate (ie. CCNA, CCDA)

[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

Comments