Does your help desk job allow apple watches and cell phones?

I have was wondering if your job allow apples watches or smart watches at work. Also do they let you have your smartphone in your pocket while you work or do you have to leave it in the car (or elsewhere)? Let me know thanks.

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I am not help desk, but the base I am at (In the building I am in, no cell phones..no recordables, no smart watches etc). Either inyour car or a cell phone locker in the lobby...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    When I was on helpdesk the official line was no mobiles for what the company said was security reasons. I moved to networks, within the same company, and first day there I see everyone is on their phones, browsing the web on their desktops etc
  • CyberCop123CyberCop123 Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am not help desk, but the base I am at (In the building I am in, no cell phones..no recordables, no smart watches etc). Either inyour car or a cell phone locker in the lobby...

Same ...

no no Bluetooth headphones or anything capable of transmitting data.
    My Aims
    2017: OSCP -
    COMPLETED
    2018: CISSP -
    COMPLETED
    2019: GIAC GNFA - Advanced Network Forensics & Threat Hunting -
    COMPLETED
               GIAC GREM - Reverse Engineering of Malware -
    COMPLETED

2021: CCSP
    2022: OSWE (hopefully)
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Military security reasons aside, if you treat your employees like prison inmates, they'll behave like prison inmates. I wouldn't last a day in an environment with such an untrustworthy culture.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My company just doesn't care.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    yoba222 wrote: »
    Military security reasons aside, if you treat your employees like prison inmates, they'll behave like prison inmates. I wouldn't last a day in an environment with such an untrustworthy culture.
    Yeah we have a reasonably trusting environment, outside of the restrictions you mentioned, nothing wrong with people having the slightest bit of freedom or happiness at work.
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I could probably watch **** at work and the only consequence would be people coming up to play their favourite videos.
  • Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    LeBroke wrote: »
    I could probably watch **** at work and the only consequence would be people coming up to play their favourite videos.

I have seen this happen. Someone got busted watching dubious videos on a night shift - streaming off the net. Their argument to HR was that if it was inappropriate then the company firewall/proxy should have blocked it. They got away with it
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think he means more along the lines of the company doesn't care. It's not even an HR issue.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    Welly_59 wrote: »
    When I was on helpdesk the official line was no mobiles for what the company said was security reasons. I moved to networks, within the same company, and first day there I see everyone is on their phones, browsing the web on their desktops etc

The previous company I worked for was like this but not for security reasons but the manager was a ****.

Help desk weren't allowed to browse the net and mobile phones were not allowed but all the other teams were allowed to do this.

Also, we weren't allowed to have casual Fridays.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We give all employees company owned phones, they can pick IPhone or Android. They are managed and maintained by the Helpdesk so there you have it.

As far as inappropriate things, firewalls and proxies should block it.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The root here is an inability for the manager to manage properly. Some jobs require closer oversight and some managers would rather impose restrictions instead of doing their job. Responsible people are going to do their job whether they have a cell phone or not. Irresponsible people are always going to find some way to goof off.