Appropriate question to ask in an interview?

Ben1373Ben1373 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, I'm currently looking for IT Support/service Desk jobs. Is it appropriate to ask in the interview how many members work on service desk/other IT Support personnel? I think I would want to know If I would be the only person responsible for providing support? Is it appropriate to ask this?

Comments

• UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    I would say it is fine to ask, but would be careful about how you say it as this could come across as defensive.

Something along the lines of "can you tell me how the responsibilities in IT are shared across the team(s)" and if it isn't clearly explained to your satisfaction then add a follow up of "who are the support responsibilities shared with in the team".

It would be illuminating to know why you are concerned about having the sole responsibility for support though - not a criticism but it could help us offer better advice by undestanding your concerns.
  • Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    Nothing wrong with asking how big the teams are
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nothing wrong with that at all, totally normal question. Tell me about the team I'd be on? How about the support structure, levels, etc? Knowing if you'd have people above you, mentors, people to share ideas with, are all fine things that people always wonder about. There is a big difference between coming in to a shop with 10 L1, 8 L2 and L3 helpdesk layers or walking in and them saying, "oh good, you're the IT guy and handing you everything and expecting 24/7 coverage"
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    imho,

If you really want to know an answer.... then NO question is inappropriate.

Interviews go both ways.