How is the major labeled at WGU

denis92denis92 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was looking at the majors for WGU and really like the certificates that go along with "cloud and systems administration". Would my major be labeled as Information technology or cloud and systems administration? I would like to become a systems engineer one day so I would rather the major was labeled as "information technology", would it make any difference? I might one day change my mind all together and pursue security or networking, I have no idea yet, I am worried by going for "cloud and systems administration" I might really limit myself, although those are definitely the certificates I want to start out with. Any advice?

Comments

• TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Considering people have degrees in history, english, music, and a whole bunch of other unrelated subjects...I doubt it will actually matter either way.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    The degree itself will just say Bachelor of Science - Information Technolgoy but I do put my specialty on my Linkedin and resume.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It doesn't really matter. If the position happens to ask for a degree they will either:
    1) Demand a Computer Science/Electrical Engineering degree #This is rare
    2) Something with a name vaguely related to IT

A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yoba222 wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter. If the position happens to ask for a degree they will either:
    1) Demand a Computer Science/Electrical Engineering degree #This is rare
    2) Something with a name vaguely related to IT

I agree. Also, your skills and drive matter more. E.g., I've worked with an IS manager with a marketing degree and a network engineer who is a psychology major.
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The degree will likely say Bachelor of Science in Cloud and Systems Administration. I got the IT - Security degree and on my degree it says "Bachelor of Science Information Technology - Security" just like it shows on the site here:

https://www.wgu.edu/online_it_degrees/information_technology_degree_security

That's why I think yours will probably say exactly what shows on the site here:

https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/systems-cloud-administration-bachelors-program
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    no recruiter or hiring manager really cares about your degree or what it says, other then you have one...and a bonus if it is something in IT..... chances are your hiring manager won't even remember that you have a degree, let alone in what...

Most recruiter only look at your work experience, and your certification, they very rarely look at your education other then if you have a degree