What is downtime for infosec professionals?

jaguaarjaguaar Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
is it the slack time outside of normal transaction hours (ex night i case of banks)?
Or
is it the time when the device/ server is offline completely?

Comments

• UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    I would read it as time when not working on the profession - ie beer time, at the cinema, spending time in romantic dalliances and anything else where 1's and 0's are not the primary focus.

When the devices are offline you are still working on getting them back online, so it that is service downtime, not your downtime.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Like everything else, it depends on the company. Some might work in an MSSP with too many clients and be running around like an idiot the whole time. Someone else might work in a fully staffed corp where they have lots of time to play with new toys and learn stuff. There are also a ton of specialties within infosec too so it could mean almost anything from compliance to reverse engineering code.
  • jaguaarjaguaar Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Like everything else, it depends on the company. Some might work in an MSSP with too many clients and be running around like an idiot the whole time. Someone else might work in a fully staffed corp where they have lots of time to play with new toys and learn stuff. There are also a ton of specialties within infosec too so it could mean almost anything from compliance to reverse engineering code.
    OK, so what would be considered downtime in a NOC? Slack time or offline time?
    I am asking this because this word tripped me in answering a question isaca has in cism incident management section. I thought - amount of traffic during typical downtime - meant time when some devices are offline.
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jaguaar wrote: »
    OK, so what would be considered downtime in a NOC? Slack time or offline time?
    I am asking this because this word tripped me in answering a question isaca has in cism incident management section. I thought - amount of traffic during typical downtime - meant time when some devices are offline.
    It could mean either. It depends on the context of the question.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jaguaar wrote: »
    is it the time when the device/ server is offline completely?

LOL, No. You never turn off servers, unless your shutting them down for upgrades or rebooting them. Not sure what context you heard this, but downtime for InfoSec professionals could refer to the time between security incidents, cyber attacks or slow periods in work schedule.
    UncleB wrote: »
    I would read it as time when not working on the profession - ie beer time, at the cinema, spending time in romantic dalliances and anything else where 1's and 0's are not the primary focus.

I wouldn't read it this way, that's time off. Down time in a job is the slow periods of time when your not crazy busy. Work is rarely steady all day, often your crazy busy or very slow. Any job that's crazy busy all the time equals employee burnout eventually.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    As said it depends on the context....a lot of times when you hear downtime it’s related to availability / disaster recovery / maybe incident response.

What is the question asking? We have no context to answer specifically.