Has anyone here ever built a pfSense router from old PC

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
Good Morning All,

I just got done watch this video on on overview on why you way want to build a pfSense router but I was wondering if anyone here has done it and what was your experience with it. I'm thinking of doing this with an old PC I have. As always your feedback is appreciated

PF sense video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ledv33t6SNE&t=9s
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Old computers are power hogs. Figure 100 watts an hour--after one year that old machine burned $100 in electricity alone, if not more. Donate the PC and spend $100 on an appliance that works with pfsense that uses more like 3 watts an hour.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I used an "old" Lenovo M series with an i5 CPU. Way overkill, but it works great. You can go simple, or you can go pretty advanced with it. I'm wanting to move to an Intel NUC, though. The pfSense is very robust, does VPN very well, and it fun to learn more about.
  • LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I run my home network off an intel aton with 4gb ram and quad gbe NICs. Its fun to learn and setup. Even better if you use it for the enterprise. (Failover capabilities, HA)
    Kindly doing the needful
  • mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thank you all for the responses. I think this might be a fun project to try.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • NuclearBeavisNuclearBeavis Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We use pfsense at work on NUCs for ourselves and clients. I'd imagine an old computer would work just fine except for it using about 20x the power of a modern SFF/NUC.

I'd like to build a pfsense box at home, but unfortunately the internet connection doesn't belong to me and comcast took away the ability to use bridged mode on their cable modems (at least for residential connections in my area).
  • muneebkalathilmuneebkalathil Member Posts: 148
    I have done in my previous Job.

Used as a main Router/Firewall on a very old system(Pentium -Dual Core, 2 GB RAM). Had some issues with HDD at first. Later replaced HDD. then It was working fine. :)
  • ITHokieITHokie Member Posts: 158 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm installing Sophos UTM Home on a Protectli appliance, but they are popular (and officially supported) for pfsense installs.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ITHokie wrote: »
    I'm installing Sophos UTM Home on a Protectli appliance, but they are popular (and officially supported) for pfsense installs.

During your research did you find any other appliances like Protecli? Why did you chose them? I'm looking for an appliance like that for home use.
  • ITHokieITHokie Member Posts: 158 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    During your research did you find any other appliances like Protecli? Why did you chose them? I'm looking for an appliance like that for home use.

Nothing that really caught my eye. There is more robust hardware, for sure. But to get an appliance that small, is fanless, has AES-NI and 4 ports and can be customized (hardware) at that price point, there aren't tons of options. Buying through Amazon is pretty convenient, too.

FYI, AES-NI maybe required in future versions of pfsense, so bear that in mind if you're building a pfsense box.