GCIH Exam Tomorrow

101010101010 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
Scheduled for my GCIH exam tomorrow. Got my Index, SANS **** Sheets and the BTFM.

Used both practice exams. Scored 81 on the first, with minimal use of my Index. After 48 hours and some more review, took the second practice test and pulled an 87, this time without any use of my Index or other notes.

Think I am looking good for the exam?
2017 Goals:
[x] GCIH

"Well if you're going to have delusions of grandeur, may as well go for the really satisfying ones." - Marcus, Babylon 5

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Shoot,
    I wanna take this exam. Are you doing it by self study?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • 101010101010 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No, work paid for the class. Which was excellent but the fire hose analogy does fit, so much of the knowledge retention relies on your own personal study.
    2017 Goals:
    [x] GCIH

"Well if you're going to have delusions of grandeur, may as well go for the really satisfying ones." - Marcus, Babylon 5
  • fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you got an 87 without using your index or notes, you should be good to go. Good luck.
  • IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • al88al88 Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You won't depend on the index much anyway , especially that you are scoring pretty well actually.

Go for it, trust your instincts and skip questions you wanna review the books for, and congrats in advance :)
  • 101010101010 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone. I am now an official GCIH. :)

Also was able to grab a score sufficient for an invite to the GIAC Advisory board. Now on to the next challenge, thinking on holding off on cert study for a bit to practice over on HackTheBox. After I pop a few more of those boxes, its off to the OSCP.

I would recommend that anyone interested in the OSCP, or pen-testing in general, to look into the HackTheBox. It's a great (free) playground to confirm/improve your skills.
    2017 Goals:
    [x] GCIH

• McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    +1 for hackthebox. I have been preaching its value ever since it launched, I wish it would have been around before I did the OSCP. If you can do all of the easy-intermediate boxes, you can pass the OSCP. There are also a good deal of boxes that go WAAAAAYYYYYY beyond what is required to pass the OSCP. Also if you can afford the membership it is worth every penny. Good Luck!
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass and welcome to the AB! Have not heard of HackTheBox but will definitely give it a look as I'm trying to prepare for OSCP attempt this winter.
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Browsed through some of the forums on HTB and I'm looking forward to learning a lot. :)
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    HTB is great EXCEPT for one thing..... the community. Most treat it like they are taking the OSCP exam and aren't very helpful or willing to give hints. This annoys the hell out of me because it is a LEARNING platfrom, not a certification exam.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.