Job market dead in my state (maybe better in Philly)

boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
I know 10+ people with varying levels of experience including degrees, certifications and experience that cannot find a job. How widespread is this?? I even stopped applying but I am still pushing on with a degree from WGU.
Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.

Comments

• NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Lots of work at california.
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    For PA - public sector is good. You cam travel 30 to 45 mins from the southern counties (Franklin, Adams, or York) to get good federal or state jobs.
    for Private sector - it’s best to stay in the cities to get the best pay. More work is in the cities. Unless you are starting out then the rural areas have little pockets of IT but not much.
  • Madmd5Madmd5 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm located in Pittsburgh which isn't a bad tech market. If anything, I'd say it's growing. I never see a shortage of job postings in/around the city.
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My advice, stay away from Federal and State jobs if you can avoid it. You'll find more opportunities south of Baltimore and towards DC/NoVA. Still work on getting that degree regards. One of the things I've found in the dismal Philly metro area is the lack of entry level IT jobs. Remember this field is highly competitive, and you need to work your butt off to get and stay ahead. There's really no tax incentive for companies to setup shop in the Philly metro area, especially down in DE. Start complaining to your local state reps, and get a few of your friends on board.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    As #kiki162 says..DC metro area. Tons of jobs..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Tech centers will always have more jobs than cities not associated directly with technology, no surprise there. Personally, being in security means the opportunities will always be associated with either big companies or organizations with lots of cash ready to burn. In other words - big cities.

You may have to look farther out than your local area to find the work your looking with the long view being your career goals as well.

Otherwise, I'd be waking up to the North woods of NW Michigan. Back when I was in college an old man told me: 'You can't eat the scenery...' I have remembered and lived those words since I was a junior in college.

Remote work would of course be ideal but security gets pulled into a lot of meetings as well.

- b/eads
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    IMO, lots of Tech jobs in San Antonio, San Fran, Portland, Seattle areas...if you are willing to move away from the dead job areas.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    for sure willing to move, actually I am hoping to move, maybe San Antonio or one of the cities mentioned above....
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not much security related in Pittsburgh. I telework and a co-worker lives in the New England area was playing around on Indeed and he was shocked at how few jobs were in the Pittsburgh area compared to where he was. North of Pittsburgh? Forget it. Have to drive into downtown for 99% of all IT jobs around here.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I know 10+ people with varying levels of experience including degrees, certifications and experience that cannot find a job. How widespread is this??

Er what state are you referring to?
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TechGromit wrote: »

And if it's a big state, what part? For instance, in Texas, Austin or DFW is not Ft. Stockton.
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »

Pennsylvania. The interview went great but I have some rough competition being that this is my first job in IT. I don't think I'm going to get the job. Good interview experience.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Be grateful you don't live in Alaska or Vermont or someplace like that.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Pennsylvania.

That's funny, I will be looking at Pennsylvania for my next job. Not entry level though.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Lots of work at california.

Dear Good Sir,
    There is lots of jobs in CA. But for every job you have hundreds apon hundreds of applications. My work put up a position for a entry level phone network position to get over 300 resumes in a freaking week for a underpaid job. The market is over saturated with people so places are being as picky as they want with who they hire. I wouldnt suggest california.

Austin Texas on the other hand, has the jobs, had good cost of living-income ratio, and there is lots of IT jobs and not enough qualified candidates. If i were to move anywhere, it might be there.

HOWEVER if you happen to know a place in the orange county area that has an open position for a CCNP im all ears icon_lol.gif