Applying out of State

bhcs2014bhcs2014 Member Posts: 103
Does anyone have any experience or tips applying for out of state jobs? I'm looking to settle in a city with great IT job market for my career. I'm 23 with a few years of System Administration experience at MSPs and trying to transition to a more network engineering type of role.
Based on some Indeed searches I found Atlanta, Raleigh, Dallas, Denver, Phoenix, and Chicago to have some of the best markets for network engineer jobs. I'm wanting to move anywhere in the US that has a good market.

Over the past week I've been just applying to jobs with my resume that has my current address. Do you think employers will take it as a given that I am trying to relocate or should I try working directly with recruiters and explaining my situation? My current employer's business is going off the rails so I'm trying to make this happen as soon as possible.

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Honestly, in hot markets companies are going to typically ignore out-of-state resumes. Get rid of the address. When you receive the phone interview, that would be when I would discuss the fact that you live out-of-state. But not until then.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you're intent on moving, it may be better to apply for sysadmin roles, and just lateral into another state. They might be more likely to hire you if you already do the exact work they're looking for.
  • aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Honestly, in hot markets companies are going to typically ignore out-of-state resumes. Get rid of the address. When you receive the phone interview, that would be when I would discuss the fact that you live out-of-state. But not until then.

That's actually a pretty good idea. Not sure why I'd never thought of this. I'd say this makes the most sense and gives you the best opportunity for a call back. If they don't like you once they call, then no harm no foul, at least you got the opportunity.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There are positions in both the Chicago-land and Illinois areas because we are LOOSING 250,000 households a year primarily due to ever climbing tax rates, corruption and the politically volatile nature of the state culture.

As Dante famously wrote and I paraphrase: 'Abandon all hope ye who enter here...'

Outside of that. Be prepared to do your homework as to the difference in pay, either being more or less costly than where you live now. Agree with dropping the address for now or if you know someone who can allow you to use a local address - all the better. I moved from central Michigan to Chicago back in 1995 and didn't have any problem finding work but I also had a place to stay. Today I am ready to move back but fining the opposite problem - big city experience compared to the home town atmosphere. Coming out of the 'big city' people expect to see me in a pin stripe suit and carrying a violin case. Lots of stereotyping. Always hated Detroit but would now be a option in a year or so.

Ironically, its harder to go back. icon_redface.gif

- b/eads
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Make it very clear in your cover letter that you are willing to relocate...and specify if on your dime or theirs. Depending on the job and company you might get relocation but if they think you won’t relocate on your dime it will exclude you from certain opportunities.

Make sure you know the cost of living differences...some on your list will be high, and some will be low but for example $80k isn’t equal across all of those.
  • Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thank you to the OP for starting this thread. A number of great tips posted. I've applied to a couple of dozen jobs out of state and I've been passed over on all of them. I just figured it was easier for them to pull from the local talent.

I like the cover letter idea for relocation and I'm going to remove my address from the resume as well.

Good stuff.
    Hatch
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, I rarely had very many bites with outta state jobs...They always wanted local people...If you know someone already in the state you are applying you could possibly use their address on your resume. I actually was contacted by Cali & CO jobs whenever I did this. So, it's like you already need to setup shop in the state wherever you are applying in order to get a job there.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Maybe its just because of the industry I was appyling for at the time, but I had no issues getting calls back from out of state companies when I was applying for pentesting jobs. It could also have something to do with your resume other than your address being listed. I had my address listed on mine when applying and still got calls and was hired.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.