Almost a year with current company should I start to look for another job

draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
I dislike the company I work for but I wanted a year in an IT project for purposes of my resume. I'm finally there soon which means I have the option to look now.

All that's stopping me is I'm wondering if it's a better idea to finish my WGU degree (three more months) first before going back into the job market. My job is stable non-contact but the pay is low and all my coworkers are young kids hired due to nepotism that I can barely stand.

I'm super tempted to start to looking again, I think I could make 20/hr+ or more at least this time and finally work for a company that respects some basic levels of professionalism.

I guess in the end it's wiser to just finish the degree first and so I'll have extra leverage I need when I re-enter the job market. I'd truly and dearly love to get out my current company though...

Comments

• Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    Mate wait until you finish the degree. If you change jobs you might not have as much time to study while you settle in. It could well put you back a few months
  • Bjcheung77Bjcheung77 Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would recommend waiting until you get your degree from WGU since it's only about 3 months of hard work left. During those 3 months, I would look for another position and get it lined up before leaving your current one. I like job security, I change jobs left and right, but I make sure I have a job waiting for me before I quit.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Even if you decide that you don't want to wait until after graduation, it might take you three months to get through the interview & hiring process elsewhere. I'd start now.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • 100k100k Member Posts: 196
    I am with yoba222
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The holidays are a bad time to be looking for a job and the risk-to-reward ratio is low since your current employer could still figure out you're looking. If you start looking now, do so quietly with an eye to being prepared once the new year hits. I'd say finish the degree then start looking.Be the new guy with a degree, not the guy that confuses employers. "Didn't he apply with no degree? Which application is correct?"
  • fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I always say it never hurts to look. You could get in contact with some recruiters and have them look for you. And from my experience, recruiters can find out how much a job pays. That way they can only tell you about positions that pay at least how much you want.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You can always look and see if you get a good enough offer to make the jump. A little bit of discomfort for 3 months is nothing if you had to adjust to a new job.

Is your degree bachelors or masters? I would be more likely to wait if it’s a bachelors because not having that could have an adverse impact on your search...masters probably won’t impact you as much.
  • PantherPanther Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OP, though you haven't completed it yet, I think you can still put in your resume that you're finishing your degree on whatever month.
  • asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    in addition to finishing your degree, do you have a "desired" certification which can get you notice, so you can get way way more then $20 an hour.. what i mean by that is a certification which is highly desired, and recruiters and hiring managers loved, but still easily attainable with a little hard work.

Example:
    networking = Both CCNA and CCNP (R&S)
    virtualization = Both vcp-DC & vcap-dca
    security = OSCP

Thats the stuff recuiters and hiring manger love, couple that with a degree and experience and your golden...

not sure what you actually do, but I would get some sort of desired certification in your field (if it takes 3 to 4 months to get), then apply for new job....you will find your hourly rate you get will be significantly higher
  • asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    Looking at your profile, i am assuming you most likely have a networking type position. If that is correct, I would do your CCNP quickly before looking. It should take you approx 3 months to 4 months, but it will be worth it, in the long run, and for your pay check
  • ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would wait till the degree is finished
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Panther wrote: »
    OP, though you haven't completed it yet, I think you can still put in your resume that you're finishing your degree on whatever month.

+1 to this.

If he sees any job he wants and it requires a degree. I would still apply and just put the degree on there and have the completion date to whatever month he is completing it. Don't want to let a job you want pass you by.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    asurania wrote: »
    i am assuming you most likely have a networking type position. If that is correct, I would do your CCNP quickly before looking...

riiiight...
    lol