BitLocker vs. Symantec Endpoint Encryption

NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm in the process of evaluating whether Microsoft's BitLocker or Symantec's Endpoint Encryption is a better choice for my organization. I've run a couple of Google searches for reviews and I'm asking if anyone is aware of an objective site along the lines of what Consumer Reports is for consumer goods that evaluates software like this?

I apologize for asking such a stupid question, but like many I'm never completely sure what is wheat and what is chaff in the big and scary interwebs.

Thank you!

Leigh

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

Comments

• NuclearBeavisNuclearBeavis Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Unfortunately, not aware of any quality comparisons. Every time I tried to find out if Symantec Endpoint Encryption supported a TPM, I couldn't come up with anything conclusive. They did at one point, then they didn't, then who knows.

We've used Symantec Endpoint Protection for clients because it's one of the few choices that can do what we want without creating and maintaining a complex separate database. But it has its pain points. If SEE is anything like SEP, I'd be cautious.

For my work and personal systems that are on Windows, I use Bitlocker, and it's very smooth. But as for centralized management of an organization's systems, I couldn't speak to that.
  • PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just to add, BitLocker fully integrates with Active Directory for recovery and has centralized software available for it, called MBAM. Worth checking out. We use BitLocker and it's as smooth as running a program to use.
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Symantec SEP is a suite that includea different modules. Bitlocker is used for 1 thing specifically.
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My organization uses both, plus the symantec mail filters.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    He's asking about SEE, not SEP, guys. :)
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • Luis103Luis103 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Had Symantec PGP at a previous employer and it did its thing. Wasn't a huge fan of the screen before bootup due to most users not knowing how to use tab key to get to password field. This lead to plenty of help desk calls.

Currently implementing bit locker now and works just as well as PGP did, for free.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    We moved thousands of hosts from a similar 3rd party encryption product to BitLocker. The ease of administration is just hard to beat. Keep in mind that you need specific Windows versions that support BitLocker. If you are running one of the supported Win flavors, then the business case makes itself.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Have to agree with Cyberguypr here, the ease of administration is hard to beat. Check your licensing as well, you may already be paying for the product if your using a high enough enterprise license (Enterprise 4 or 5). I forget when bitlocker kicks in but its fairly inexpensive if bought as an add on as well.

I have nothing against Symantec but they'd have to really want to sell me on the technological merits over BitLocker to get me to move.

- b/eads
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    After much research, we can't run Endpoint because we're a small organization and don't use AD. It looks like I'm doing BitLocker in the morning...

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    bitlocker ftw. free and works as well as any of the others. i honestly am surprised anybody pays for fde anymore with bitlocker being as good and easy as it is. eval'd a bunch last year, none had any features worth the extra $$ over free
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We use SEE at my job. Does it's thing pretty well. Guess it depends on your org too. Small/mid size companies may benefit from Bitlocker more than huge global companies.
  • bamahonkybamahonky Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We currently run BitLocker that is managed by Sophos Safeguard. All in all no issues now. One thing to consider is if you are running BitLocker and use Dell laptops with USB-C docks, you will have to make some adjustments in either disabling thunderbolt technology or in your PCRs on local group policy.