Passed Today!!!!!

James GoslingJames Gosling Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed today! :D With a score of 870 out of 900!!!! icon_eek.gif

Ok, here's my story - I've come to this from a Novell background, with Novell's acquisition of SUSE, Linux is now the hot track... not that it wasn't always quite hot. A few years ago I did a Linux Administration course, it was ok and I learnt a few things.... I supported a webserver at my workplace that ran Redhat. But I didnt have much hands on with Linux and have only just recently got around to taking the plunge. I migrated our Webserver to SUSE Linux, well a variant known as Open Enterprise Server - allows us to use Novell NSS volumes and integrates with eDirectory etc. (highly recommended!). The cool-ness of this product prompted me to get myself on-track with Linux. The Linux+ exam is the first step on the ladder for me, I plan to do Novell Certified Linux Professional (NCLP) and then Engineer (NCLE) early next year. I could have skipped Linux+ but I wanted a firm foundation... after all I have years of experience in DOS and Windows that underpins my knowledge there but that was all lacking with Linux. Novell produce a self-study kit 3060 called "Getting Started with Linux: Novell's Guide to CompTIA's Linux+" (they also run courses). I'm used to Novell Self-Study kits and so I opted for this, apart from a few annoying typos I highly recommend it. It prepares you for the exam whilst giving you SUSE Linux knowledge that takes you beyond the exams requirements, setting you up nicely to continue your studies if you so wish. It's two volumes, takes a while to read. I have done quite a few certs over the past few years, mostly Novell - normally I work on a 3 week program of reading the book then drilling myself on it - self-testing, notes, abreviated notes, que cards etc. This time was different, I started and stopped several times, various distractions so its hard to judge how long it took actually studying but a little longer than my usual, say 5 weeks of actual study.

Oh and a word to the wise, don't bother with those **** sheets - a friend of mine emailed me one he'd paid for for Linux+.... it was riddled with errors. If I'd used it, I'd have been lucky to scrape through.

As it is I scored very well, mainly because I did my groundwork. There are questions on SCSI - ID's, Termination etc, but most are about security, demons, various configuration files etc. from across the breadth of the topic. It's not necessarilly the toughest exam, but if you are relatively new to Linux or have limited skills with it, you will be taxed and if you haven't studied, I guess you will fail. My exam had 98 questions (more than I had read was in it) - 90 minutes was allowed, fortunately I am one of those people who wizzes through exams like this... basically you either know the answer or not (hence it lasted 30 minutes for me!).

Good luck to all who follow! :)

Comments

• supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Good show, James!
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great job. icon_cool.gif
    Thanks for the words of wisdom and sharing your experience.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats on the pass!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass, and welcome to the club! Sounds like you've got some serious work ahead of you, but if you stick to your plan you should have those Novell certs under your belt in no time. Good luck.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass and nice score!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Gennosuke HIGAKIGennosuke HIGAKI Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass with the great score! I am glad to know of your Novell background. Me too but I couldn't stay on to the track. By the way, recently I heard of a pass-away of Ray Noorda, founder of Novell. He had begun an ambitious OpenLinux project to integrate NDS into Linux. Unfortunately, OpenLinux had gone though, Novell holds SuSe in hands. Please take over Ray's heritage and strive for further goals With very best regards