Resume review

boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
As suggested I decided to post a snippet of resume. Not to worried about names or places because A the names involved are of people who are already well known within the athletic community and or places I no longer work at or live around.

Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.

Comments

• NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can you upload your resume as a .PDF or .doc file extention? It's hard to read as JPEG file.

Thanks!
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would work on formatting and shorten the educational coursework. You can discuss that in an interview. Don't add any athletic clubs as work experience--completely irrelevant.
    what do I add in there to show what I was doing during that time period?
    what do I add in there to show what I was doing during that time period?

I don't think a 6 month employment gap from 5 years ago will matter. Not enough to add in that you participated in a club. If you were getting paid then that is different. Please keep in mind I am by no means a professional resume writing resource.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good lawd....
    now i understand WHY its been 11 months with ZERO interviews.

Your "JPG" resume, in itself, is actually okay.
    I like the formatting, the white spacing, etc.
    I like the emphasis on 'education' at the beginning (since you dont have any exp).
    It's alright.

The problem is what your resume says "without" saying.

It's saying that
    1) you have no IT experience,
    and
    2) you are NOT some kid in their 20's trying to break into the field.

You are OLD.
    and unfortunately, Age Discrimination is a real thing.
    Employers want Young kids for entry jobs; they can control/exploit them easier.

Personally, i would get rid of ALL your previous jobs.
    1) they have nothing to do with IT.
    2) Showing a job history going back to 2005 tells people your age.
    Keep your current Roofer job; and maybe the Pressman Apprenticeship (if you want)
    But that's it.

Your resume might only be a single page; but so what; i think you may get more interviews.
    You want employers to think they are interviewing someone younger.
    You want to land the interview; then you can let your sparkling personality win them over :]
    (in the interview, if they bother to ask about your missing EXP; then you can talk about your life history; including the IT stuff you did in the NAVY)

Next:
    Your "revised" resume now has a 5-year gap on your resume, 2007-2012?
    I understand you took it out because of advice here, but...

What does your resume Now say (without saying):
    You were incarcerated.
    lol
    seriously; some people will think that way.
    resume goes into the trash.

Last,
    What State/major-city do you live in?
    That crap matters.

Just my 2 cents

EDIT:
    You can't list those Certifications if you Dont have them.
    LOL
    This should be pretty obvious :]
    Volfkhat nailed it

Do you have these certs that are listed on your resume?
    • Certifications; CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, Linux+;CIW Site Development; CCNA; CCNA Security

???
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    As suggested I decided to post a snippet of resume. Not to worried about names or places because A the names involved are of people who are already well known within the athletic community and or places I no longer work at or live around.

Hello Boxerboy,

Does WGU or New Horizons have career department?

I uploaded a version that looked a little more clear and flowed better in my eyes. It still needs alot of work!!

You have a good foundation, but there was just to much on the resume. Also, there was no contact info listed on the resume, so if they wanted to call you in for an interview it would be difficult to do so.

I uploaded an edited version of your resume with some changes I made.

If I put (expand on this)..it meant add more detail.

Also, this is great thread on resume writing:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/113891-resume-writing-resources.html

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    Hi Boxer Boy,

I cleaned up your resume the best I could and attached it to this post.

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    Volfkhat nailed it

Do you have these certs that are listed on your resume?
    • Certifications; CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, Linux+;CIW Site Development; CCNA; CCNA Security

???

No I put those as part of my course curriculum. That was my intended goal that way employer knows what direction I'm heading in, that's why I put it under the educational part not the actual cert part.
    Hi Boxer Boy,

I cleaned up your resume the best I could and attached it to this post.

Thus far in my life experience having my professional sports achievements on my resume has land me a lot of interviews and jobs. Otherwise I find it catches people way off guard during the interview process.

Thoughts?

Also I really appreciate it.
  • dizzy_kittydizzy_kitty Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Listing certs that you don't have on your resume is a bit misleading. Some positions are required to have certain certificates to access IT systems (DoD, to meet regulations) and if you don't have them then it's a waste of time for you and the interviewer.
  • IvDoggIvDogg Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Boxerboy1168,

Add Sec+ to your resume.

I suggest putting the Sec+ on a high priority (1-2 months) and marketing yourself towards an entry level DoD position (if geographically practical). Whether your clearance is current or expired, just having prior military experience, a clearance and a Sec+ is enough to get your started in DoD IT. From there you can work your way up.
    IvDogg wrote: »
    Boxerboy1168,

Add Sec+ to your resume.

I suggest putting the Sec+ on a high priority (1-2 months) and marketing yourself towards an entry level DoD position (if geographically practical). Whether your clearance is current or expired, just having prior military experience, a clearance and a Sec+ is enough to get your started in DoD IT. From there you can work your way up.

That's next on my list after I pass 902 at the end of the month.
    Listing certs that you don't have on your resume is a bit misleading. Some positions are required to have certain certificates to access IT systems (DoD, to meet regulations) and if you don't have them then it's a waste of time for you and the interviewer.

I only list that I have Net+
    Thus far in my life experience having my professional sports achievements on my resume has land me a lot of interviews and jobs. Otherwise I find it catches people way off guard during the interview process.

Thoughts?

Also I really appreciate it.

I would leave the sports achievements off your resume. You're applying to IT jobs, and honestly sports achievements is just wasted real estate space on your resume. If you want to bring them up. then you can during the interview. The hiring manager says do what do you do for fun? Ohh I do boxing or Go to the gym ect ect

Please see this article:

You Have 6 Seconds To Grab A Recruiter's Attention -- Here's How To Do It

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dailymuse/2015/07/20/you-have-6-seconds-to-grab-a-recruiters-attention-heres-how-to-do-it/#3955c5cf5838

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • dizzy_kittydizzy_kitty Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I only list that I have Net+

I think I'm looking at the latest one you posted: tech exams.doc

EDUCATION

Western Governor’s University – BS Information Technology – Security, In Progress
    · Information Technology Fundamentals; Network and Security; Spreadsheets; Scripting and Programming; Data Management; Operating Systems; Interconnecting Network Devices; Leadership and Management; Web Development; Business of IT; Security; Technical Writing; Critical Thinking and Logic; Introduction to Probability and Statistics; Intermediate and College Algebra
    ·Certifications; CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, Linux+;CIW Site Development; CCNA; CCNA Security

When you have those certs listed (even if its not under your Certifications section) it looks like you're selling yourself with you currently holding those certificates. It's great that you plan on passing those exams! :) But if you don't currently hold them it's best to leave them off.