Fortinet NSE4 and over

Hi all,

Does anyone have any NSE 4 and beyond experience to share?
I've got access to the partner portal and did all the trainings there already but if you guys would have any other tips i'd be taking them. Of course I also have my hands on a FortiGate VM64 which is up and running as my main UTM at the moment.

Thanks,
regards,
m.

Comments

• mokazmokaz Member Posts: 172
    Hi all, just a quick update on this one. Passed the NSE4 exam with the help of the Fortinet Learning Center, which has some goods and bads. Some modules about the FortiGate I & II are very digestible and some a little less. Although if you've got your hands on a FortiGate VM its fair enough for you to pass if you lab a bit and play around... All around it was a good cert and i feel safer at the FortiGate tweaking and debugging.

I'll pursue a bit further my goal being NSE6, but at a slow pace though...

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    m.
  • balcobullsbalcobulls Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Passed my NSE4 today. Let me give you a little background. I work in a SOC that manages hundreds of Fortigates. If you are in the same boat as me with experience, do not let your experience fool you! The NSE4 is not fully practical, it really digs into the firewall and requires you to not only know how to manage it, but why it does what it does. Plus it is only a 60 question test, not much room for error.

On a sad note, the NSE4 is retiring April 1, 2017. Then the test will be on 5.4 firmware. The only downside is 5.6 is getting ready to be released because 5.4 isn't the greatest firmware lets just say. Then again, Fortinet is lowering their standard and only requiring a 60% to pass!!! You have to be kidding! Who cares about high standards eh?
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I looked into taking the NSE4 but it seemed like the training was really locked down and expensive. I hadn't touched a Fortigate in years up until a few months ago. My brother works for Fortinet as a Systems Engineer and he was required to take it. Wonder what they're going to make him do now with this one being retired?
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I didnt know the NSE4 was being retired...
    Can someone give me a source on this? We are a partner and a lot of us have the cert and more were studying for it.
    Are they just updating it?
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am curious where you heard about the NSE4 being retired. It is the replacement for the older FCNSA and FCNSP exams. I wouldn't imagine it is being retired considering they are no longer considering FCNSP no longer valid for NSE4 as of December 2016 and requiring partners to have NSE4 instead. I think if they are modifying the exam is it more of a version update vs a new certification.
  • sacranonesacranone Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    that it is not true!!
    I am studying to my NSE4, and I will try it next week with version 5.4.
    It is possible to certificate with ver 5.2 too, but with a 70% answers true.
  • BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a voucher for the 5.4 but I'm waiting on it. After doing the self-paced training online the labs were just the same thing but with you doing the config. Not impressed at all to be honest. I'm replacing an ASA 5525 with a Fortigate 900D next weekend and will probably wait for a few months (After OSCP) before using the voucher.

I'm definitely interested in how your exam goes!
    I'm very interesting about OSCP. can you explain what are U studying, the site of the course... etc?
    I've taken my NSE4 exam today... no too simple
    sacranone wrote: »
    I've taken my NSE4 exam today... no too simple

What do you mean?? I'm currently working toward the NSE6 concentrating on FortiAuthenticator..
    AM
    I've taken my NSE4 exam certification, but its questions wasn't simple...
    I've found some questions equals of that the course, but a lot new.
    In internet I've not found lists of questions...

have you found something?

anywey it is right what said before, that it is sufficient to study the course... but I've studied a lot in 2 months, and I have a FGT80C at home to try..
    I'm going to see if I can wake this thread up only if to ask where folks are getting study materials. Fortinets NSEI site only allows for me to take the NSE1 exam which really isn't much of anything at all unless you're a sales person hocking the product. I asked my brother who is a sales engineer with them but even he wasn't sure where to get the materials- he just took the exam from what he knew.
    Fulcrum45 wrote: »
    I'm going to see if I can wake this thread up only if to ask where folks are getting study materials. Fortinets NSEI site only allows for me to take the NSE1 exam which really isn't much of anything at all unless you're a sales person hocking the product. I asked my brother who is a sales engineer with them but even he wasn't sure where to get the materials- he just took the exam from what he knew.

Hey there,

Great to see there are some folks interested in the Fortinet NSE series...
    Well usually you should be able to take whatever you want from NSE1 to 8 as self paced courses. Send them a quick email, they're pretty reactive.

Americas: training@fortinet.com
    EMEA: emeatraining@fortinet.com
    APAC: apactraining@fortinet.com

Cheers,
    m.
  • luneticolunetico Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have both the NSE4 and NSE5 as we're a partner with Fortinet at work. Work in a SOC and use FortiManager/FortiAnalyzer and FortiGate on a daily basis. I wrote both the exams at the start of 2016 and found that the material on the learning portal was enough to pass the tests. There are parts of the curriculum and chapter tests that were just plain wrong the last time I checked it but if I'm not mistaken it has since been updated. Hopefully it's laid out a bit better now. Pretty sure FortiSIEM is included as a topic on the exam for NSE5 now but I can't confirm that. Probably a good idea for me to take a look at that since the certs are only good for two years.
    mokaz wrote: »
    Hey there,

Great to see there are some folks interested in the Fortinet NSE series...
    Well usually you should be able to take whatever you want from NSE1 to 8 as self paced courses. Send them a quick email, they're pretty reactive.

Americas: training@fortinet.com
    EMEA: emeatraining@fortinet.com
    APAC: apactraining@fortinet.com

Cheers,
    m.

Thanks for the links. I emailed them in regards to this so we'll see. I've always liked Fortinet products but since I'm no longer in the Partner/ Re-seller category the training does not seem to be targeted to me as an end user. At the end of the day my boss is going to want me know this thing inside and out and since I love networks in general I'm more than happy to accommodate :D
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    I have not heard about this. Can I know how recongised and popular is this certification?
    Small update on this thread.

I've recently followed the NSE 7 - Enterprise Firewall - FortiOS 5.4. The training was a 3days online given training with an instructor as well as very well organized labs. I liked the whole training as well as the materials. Although the materials form is somehow cumbersome to study (the pdf is hum a little badly organized and i wished i could have the powerpoint slides directly.).

I've also spent more time on the same training also in safe paced mode. Videos provided are ok, PDF materials are the same.
    Of course i've spent alot of time in my labs on FortiGates VMs and different scenarios, tools, debugs etc..

The exam was quiet hard, covering all the materials with a lot a troubleshooting and deep technical scenarios. Although it is doable. There is no grades, you know you've passed or failed and they give you a pass or failed status for 5 groups (content inspection, session troubleshooting etc..)

I'm glad I've passed that one and i'm now pursuing to finish the NSE 6 (lacking two exams there).

Thanks,
    Regards,
    m.
  • evopilotevopilot Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all, currently doing the self study part 1 and part 2 on the partner portal training. Doing ok so far averaging 70-90% in the end of lecture quizzes... so easier then others.

Just wondering what the similarity from these questions are with the actual exam?

My exam is in 7 days time
    evopilot wrote: »
    Hi all, currently doing the self study part 1 and part 2 on the partner portal training. Doing ok so far averaging 70-90% in the end of lecture quizzes... so easier then others.

Just wondering what the similarity from these questions are with the actual exam?

My exam is in 7 days time

Hey there, what exam are you taking? NSE4? i guess the online practice exam are pretty easier compare to the real one.
    So study all you can. Also, check on the slides given (PDF) and spot all the attention marks items and so on.

Good luck!
  • rontolrontol Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just want to chip in some info....barely passed today...60%

preps:
    went to 5.2 I official training - some time ago....
    self-paced 5.4 I & II + Quizes at Fortinet portal
    experience from work ...day to day/adhoc support

IMO anybody can pass it if they prep properly ....few tricky questions ofc....60% is very doable
    Focus more on VPN, IPSEC, IKE, L2 and VDOM (Module II)
    Know your syntax
    Know your FG hardware architecture (IPS engine...NP/CP/ etc)
  • Erik MoldenErik Molden Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi!

I just created a WhatsApp Group for talking and sharing info about Fortinet Cert B]exam NSE4/NSE5/NSE6/NSE7(EFW)/NSE8[/B.

If you like to talk and share, please add the group here:

https://chat.whatsapp.com/1eWTNw7HClN0tww4wTrxf0

Good luck, all!!!
  • IbraulisIbraulis Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys!

I have some doubts ..

I'm looking to take the NSE4 exam, but I have some fears.

I am studying through the Fortinet website as a partner and doing simulations.

But given the issues of generic simulation, Fortinet simulations have different answers to similar questions.

Can you ask me for some advice?
  • HaneefmuscatHaneefmuscat Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did you go through any ****
    Wow, I've been gone a while. So for third time I'm looking into the NSE4 since I'm with a partner and not just an end user. BTW- I completely misread the whole bit about the NSE4 being retired.