CompTIA A+ Certified!

De_RabbitDe_Rabbit Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
Okay, I'm not sure what happened. I posted this long thread post that was decently long, but it never posted through. I didn't get to save it either, but I'll write it again...

As of about 10 hours ago, I am CompTIA A+ (re)-certified! My story is that I was once certified back in 2012, when it was still the 220-701. Unfortunately during this time, I did not take advantage of CompTIA's continuing education program, so I had not taken any other CompTIA certifications then. I had bought some study materials for the Network+ and Security+, but I didn't really have a good plan on how to pass them, due to lack of resources, or just poor planning... but I digress.

I have to say, since taking the 220-701, and jumping into the 220-901 and 902 exams - they really made it more difficult! Those simulations add a whole new dimension for the exams. For rookies who are just now entering the industry, I have to say there is a lot of material to cover even if it just the A+. You are in for a surprise, but with the proper studying habits and materials - it's possible!

Here are my resources that I used to help me pass the exam (in no specific order):

1. Transcender - although expensive, they provided a lot of good study flashcard material and great questions for the exam.
2. Pluralsight - I listened to Tim Warner's A+ videos on repeat to get a high level overview of the technology (i.e. RAID), and to have a better breakdown of a technology.
3. CompTIA A+ Complete Study Guide by Sybex - I used this book when I wanted to get an in-depth understanding of a material, since it covers it in detail.
4. Job experience - I wouldn't have been able to pass this exam if it was not for my experience in IT. Throughout the years, I've been helping end users with all sorts of technical problems.

As many people have said in the forums - watching only CBTNuggets or Pluralsight would probably not help you pass the exam. You would have to get out of your comfort zone to develop better study habits, sacrifices, and what drives you. I realized a combination of these four (or more) is what I needed to pass the exam.

My goals are to get the Security+ and Network+, and probably move into the Microsoft field to be a MCSA.

Comments

• D20D20 Member Posts: 124 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!

Hoping to take and pass my 220-902 in January or February!
    Then on to Sec+ and my ultimate goal is CISSP
    Certifications: A+ Sec+ isc(2) CC Google Cybersecurity Certification 2024 Goals: Pass the Network+ Exam
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!!!! :)

Good luck on your next certs
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63