WGU - Comptia Question

layer8problemslayer8problems Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
-WGU only accepts certs that were acquired in the past 5 years, and I have GFL certs that won't qualify. (A+/Net+/Sec+)
-Comptia states that renewing a Sec+ will also renew your A+ and Net+.
-Being that my certs are GFL, not CE, for WGU would I need to retake all of these certs? Or Just Sec+? How does that work?

"Renewing your highest-level CompTIA certification will automatically renew lower-level certifications. Learn more about renewing multiple certifications."

How do I know what is a higher-level CompTIA certification and what is lower?
The hierarchy is as follows: (from high to low):
  1. CASP
  2. CSA+
  3. Security+
  4. Network+
  5. A+

Comments

• supafish9supafish9 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You'd have to talk with an admissions/enrollment advisor about the certs and if you can get credit for them. They should be able to get you an answer pretty quick.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    yeah, pretty much why I didn't attend WGU...I have a few GFL certs, even though my Sec+ renewed those GFL certs, they still didn't accept A LOT of my college credit or older certs. I am just going to continue getting certifications instead of pursuing degrees. It's cheaper that way, unless you fail a lot of exams.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Armor149Armor149 Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OP- The short answer is you have to take the current version of A+, Net+, Sec+. You need to convert your certs from (GFL) Good-For-Life to (CE) Continuing Education. Since GFL certs are over 5 years old, you will have to take them again for them to be used with WGU.

https://certification.comptia.org/help/continuing-education/good-for-life

Hope that helps.
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you've already gained the knowledge from the certs, then it shouldn't take long going through a refresher icon_wink.gif
  • jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know when I got my Sec+ CE it renewed my A+ and Net+ and now I have CE next to them both. Not sure about everyone else but I think the CE version of Sec+ will convert the others.
  • layer8problemslayer8problems Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Update: It appears that if I do CCNA prior to enrollment it will cover the Net+/Sec+ requirement.
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just go pass Sec+ CE. When you pass it, your previous GFLs should get converted to CE. If not, you can request it. Once you get them converted, apply. That will knock out 4 classes.