Where do I go from here...?

professor chaosprofessor chaos Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Everyone,

Stumbles across this site and it seemed like that place to ask some questions!

I am looking to move into the IT world as I have grown tired of the Health, fitness, sport and coaching world and want something that might actually stretch my brain a bit. Problem is I have no idea where to start. After a casual chat with an old friend I have realised that I know even less than I thought about qualifications and their worth in the industry.

I am currently signed up to a CompTIA A+ and Security+ and was looking at my CCENT Routing and switching. I know these are entry level, but I'm doing them because while I know more that the average about Computer stuff, on the grand scheme of things I know nothing and I need a grounding.

The question is, where do I go from there? Microsoft, Cisco, Networking, security, VoIP? I'm looking for good prospects for advancement and earning potential in the UK market with possible options to relocate overseas (because, you know, who wouldn't like to live in a new country!) at a later time in my career.

Any advice, resources or courses you guys could recommend would be of great help.

Thanks in advance People

Comments

• techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just take it one step at a time. Get the A+, apply for positions while studying Security+ or CCENT. You likely won't realize what you want to do a year or two into the IT field. Likely first landing spot will be help desk or desktop support dealing with Windows 7, 8, 10.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • NuclearBeavisNuclearBeavis Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Also, look closely at entry level jobs you think you'd like and see what kind of certs/qualifications they typically ask for. You may or may not want to do that A+, depending on what you find.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    1. Look up jobs you want to get
    2. See what qualifications/skills they are asking for
    3. Work on getting those qualifications/skills
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    When starting you've got a blank slate and the world is your oyster. I always push people to infosec b/c that's my field and we have a drastic shortage of talented people. It can be fun, exciting, and pay well if you put solid, dedicated time into learning the tools tactics and techniques
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nothing wrong about learning A+ or any plus exam as these are all foundation level coursework. Start broad and get a feel for both what you enjoy doing and what you have talent. In other words don't spend a ton of time thinking your looking to do some bizarre security or engineering level work with related skills with no background but certs and training and expect to land a niche position. Don't limit yourself without lots of exploration.

Take your time and look at everything in IT. Its a huge field with plenty of opportunity but do look at everything you can.

Can we link some obvious free sites as well? Stanley Community College, etc.?

Cybrary.it

Keep asking questions! :)

- b/eads
  • professor chaosprofessor chaos Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys.

Good answers. I shall just continue to research and look for jobs and their requirements. 🙂
  • ivyvaldivyvald Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Listen to beads icon_thumright.gif
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ivyvald wrote: »
    Listen to beads icon_thumright.gif

Those are dangerous words...
  • Bjcheung77Bjcheung77 Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would recommend getting those vendor neutral certifications first, A+, Net+, Security+, and if you prefer, Project+ as well. Since you are starting off, get into an entry level position such as help desk analyst then work your way up to tech analyst. All in all, it's a balance of land/testing and self training.
  • Bjcheung77Bjcheung77 Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh, to add... this may work for your as well, see link: Note though, WGU only accepts individuals that are from the USA and selective parts of Canada http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/129926-where-go-what-do.html#post1122882

Update: Not sure why that link isn't working, it's a link to another thread on the forum... interesting, anyways...copy/paste the address and see if it works.