A+ OS Linear: Who took the OS Linear..and...

cb6000cb6000 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is the A+ OS part that much more difficult than the A+ Core? Just wondering. I may take the A+ OS as early as Wednesday. I want to pass it before Nov. 26th. Any advice, suggestions? :p

Comments

• Special_k21Special_k21 Member Posts: 155
    cb6000,

I took both the OS and Core a good month ago. Basically I did find the OS part more difficult for me. I was asked a lot of questions regarding DOS and Win95. All my prior hands on experience has been Win2000 and XP. So in that aspect, it was more difficult. So my piece of advice would be, know your older operating systems and definitely know your printers! Best of luck to ya!
  • SartanSartan Inactive Imported Users Posts: 152
    I just recently took both tests. They give you two hours for each, and I did them on a monday and a tuesday. The hardware test was pretty easy, and the os test was easier yet. The A+ OS exam is rediciously simple compared to the hardware exams. Concentrate on Printers for your Hardware exam, and Troubleshooting techniques for your OS exam.
    However, Special_k21 is right, many legacy questions appear. I had one question asking me about specific flags for EMM386.EXE and HIMEM.SYS in a DOS 5 environment. To be honest I don't think anybody should spend too much time focusing on 3.1 and DOS architecture, you can afford missing a few questions by focusing on your skillsets.
    Network Tech student, actively learning Windows 2000, Linux, Cisco, Cabling & Internet Security.
  • cb6000cb6000 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sartan, I don't need to worry about the Core/Hardware exam anymore. I passed that one last Wednesday easily. It's the Operating Systems exam that I have to prepare for.

Thank you both for responding. I probably need to work on my DOS and Windows 95.
  • Special_k21Special_k21 Member Posts: 155
    Well again, best of luck! Let us know how it went!
  • carbunklecarbunkle Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nah os is about the same difficulty as core, it helps if you have actually messed around with dos,95 and 2000
  • jasoninazjasoninaz Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I disagree, I took the adapt and the 30 questions was cake. I took the os and found it much harder.
  • cb6000cb6000 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jasoninaz wrote:
    I disagree, I took the adapt and the 30 questions was cake. I took the os and found it much harder.

I guess it depends on one's abilities. Some say that they are better with the Core/Hardware, while others are better with the Operating Systems.