70-410 - Passed

blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
I finally got off my butt and took this test. Scored a 928, so I probably spent a little too long studying for this one. I failed 70-412 the first time, so I spent a lot more time on my weaker areas for 70-410. For an experienced Windows Server professional, I found this test much easier than the 412.

I focused on IPv6 syntax and subnetting; Hyper-V - mainly all of the options for the VM hardware, the differences between gen1 and gen2, and Hyper-v networking; server migrations; things that have changed in Storage since 2003; Remote Management; and how to do all of the AD, DNS, DHCP, Security, File/Storage, etc tasks that I have been doing for years, but with PowerShell or other command line utilities.

I used work experience, labbing up a domain using VM Workstation (using TechNet to walk through many of the knowledge domains from the exam blueprint), various YouTube videos, and Transcender practice tests to prepare.

Working on 70-411 now. I want to have that one knocked out before Christmas, so that I can roll right into the Windows 2016 training that I will be taking in January and hopefully knock out the 2016 upgrade test while much of this is still fresh.
IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
Working on: RHCE/Ansible
Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nice score! congrats!
  • stunnedsoupstunnedsoup Member Posts: 120
    Congrats buddy! Glad to hear. I'm also trying to knock out the 70-411 by Christmas...so I'm right there with you. I need to get rolling myself.

Best of luck!
    Cisco: CCENT COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR CCNA COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR || MCSE: 70-410 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-411 [ ] 74-409 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-534 [ ] || VMWare: VCP [ ]
  • johnITjohnIT Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    I focused on IPv6 syntax and subnetting

I'm currently studying for it and you reminded me I still have to go over this stuff and memorize it. How many questions of that would you say are on the test? Since I have no experience in IPv6. We are still IPv4. My test is this Thursday but I've memorized all the other topics you said except IPv6
    Working on: A+, MCSE Server 2012
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You really need to go back and look at IPv6. I might have had 4-6 questions. A quick and dirty resource would be the Wikipedia article on IPv6 for the fundamentals. Knowing the FE80::/64 is the link-local (like APIPA for IPv4) might be worth a few points, and knowing how many /64 networks can be created in a given network block would be something good to know. Also recognize the transition protocols like Teredo and 6to4 (I might have had a question or it may have just been on the practice test I took, I don't remember!)

Good luck!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's awesome ... Great job i'm studying for the 411 myself too. I notice the material is getting a little harder and lab from Pluralsight. A lot of powershell commands. I'm giving myself other 1 month before taking the exam. Getting a little nervous about it.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, that's a significantly difficult task.
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever