Options

Ntp

BennyTheManBennyTheMan Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
can someone please explain to what is the difference between the two commands 'npt master' and 'ntp server'?
I am also confused aobut the output from 'show ntp associations'. What is the difference between address and ref. clock?
and does it mean anything that *~ appear before each output on all the routers in the topology on my Boson practice tests?

Please help me, if you can.

Thank you

Ben

Comments

• Options
    hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
    if a node is an ntp master other nodes are getting time from it. if you do ntp status or ntp associations and it shows local clock or the loopback address 127.x.x.x the node is a master and getting time from itself. if shows an ip address you can use show cdp neighbors detail and find what device the client is getting time from.
  • Options
    boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    huntert wrote: »
    if a node is an ntp master other nodes are getting time from it. if you do ntp status or ntp associations and it shows local clock or the loopback address 127.x.x.x the node is a master and getting time from itself. if shows an ip address you can use show cdp neighbors detail and find what device the client is getting time from.

so they detail a hierarchy with the NTP master being to the top domain server essentially?
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.