Online MBA at LSUS(Shreveport)

usman4673usman4673 Member Posts: 115
Dear Fellows:
I am from Dallas, TX region and considering to start my MBA journey with concentration in Finance, this Fall ’17 or Spring ’18 (Jan.)
I need some guidance. I have a full-time demanding job along with a young family. My work also requires me to be on-call 24/7 every other week. I am still passionate about taking this MBA journey and will strive to put my hardwork with a little guidance and mentoring from you all here. I plan to allocate 15-20 hours at the MOST in a regular week. I plan to create a work-family-study-life balanced schedule.

Now I have got a few questions:
1) First of all, can you recommend the sequence of courses I should be taking? Initially, assume I will be only taking 1-course in a 7-year session. Which one should be the very first course, second, and third and so on? I am coming from IT profession.

2) Is there any course, doing which makes some other course(s) easier, for better understanding and laying a good foundation; so I sequence it ahead of the other?

3) Based on your experience, can you please state which courses are research/writing assignments ONLY and which ones involve ProcturU as well? Please update the listed ones below:

ECON 705icon_confused.gif?
FIN 701icon_confused.gif?
MADM 701icon_confused.gif?
MKT 701icon_confused.gif?
MADM 760icon_confused.gif?
ISDS 705icon_confused.gif?

FIN 710icon_confused.gif?
FIN 720icon_confused.gif?
FIN 730icon_confused.gif?

4) Please also state, in the list of MBS courses, which ones got cumulative (entire book) exams and which ones got “non-cumulative/recently studied and chapters after the 1st exam only?” In short, Exam-1 contains from day-1 to chapters studied upto exam-1, exam-2 only includes what is studied after exam-1 upto exam-2, exam-3/final only includes chapters studied after exam-2 upto the final day. Please update the listed ones below:

ECON 705: Writing only or ProctorU? If proctorU, is it cumulative or non-cumulative?
FIN 701icon_confused.gif?
MADM 701icon_confused.gif?
MKT 701icon_confused.gif?
MADM 760icon_confused.gif?
ISDS 705icon_confused.gif?

FIN 710icon_confused.gif?
FIN 720icon_confused.gif?
FIN 730icon_confused.gif?

5) Are the quizzes and ProctorU exams “open-book, open-notes” or otherwise?

6) How much money will I need to spend on books/e-books/notes etc? Has anyone got any “cost-effective, online subscription” option for getting e-books like Kindle Unlimited, Book bub, etc? But I am an old school and prefer having a hardcover in the hands, under the tree than ipad/nook etc.

7) Is every course listed in the MBA degree offered in each 7-wk session? Or are there certain courses which are only offered once or twice a year and you don’t want to miss enrolling for them?

icon_cool.gif What’s the graduation requirement? Do we need to make B and above in each course including the two pre-reqs?

9) Does the grading system only involve A, B,C or also +/-?

10) Do professors also offer extra credits and/or multiple attempts on the quizzes/exams/writing assignments?

11) Are there courses which are offered by more than one professor in the same 7-wk term so students can choose one professor over the other?

12) From the list of electives, I have to pick one. Can you recommend the easiest? Which one have you all or students in general take? I understand, one should look for a relevant course that will help build on knowledge & expertise one is going after, but if one has to weigh on easy A, which one do you all suggest?

13) Is there any group of seniors, students recently graduated or about to be very soon, who can be contacted over the emails/phone for personal advice/discussion/motivation?

14) Does LSUS provide a dedicated adviser/mentor who works with a specific student throughout the degree?

15) Are there any study groups, private tutoring or volunteer students, or any such help where if one is stuck or struggling with a course, can seek guidance/tutoring?

Please feel free to provide any gotchas, tips, etc that you feel may help newcomers like me. I wish everyone good luck with their current studies and hope that my questions will also help many aspirants with their confusions and questions too.

Comments

• jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Megaman268Megaman268 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Usman I am in this program now and located in the dallas area. We may be able to help each other out. Let me know if you are interested
  • usman4673usman4673 Member Posts: 115
    Megaman268 wrote: »
    Usman I am in this program now and located in the dallas area. We may be able to help each other out. Let me know if you are interested

Megaman: I am sorry for the late reply. Most definitely! I am looking at a spring-II or Fall 2018 start. Your guidance will be highly appreciated!
  • dizzy_kittydizzy_kitty Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does LSUS have advisors that you can reach out to ? The ones at my university are pretty good and were able to answer similar questions that I've had. :)
  • usman4673usman4673 Member Posts: 115
    Does LSUS have advisers that you can reach out to ? The ones at my university are pretty good and were able to answer similar questions that I've had. :)

Since, I haven't started the program yet, therefore cant confirm if they do. But I'd assume, they do have advisers like any other university has. Which university do you go to? Are you going for MBA? Is yours asynchronous, full online program which is AACSB accredited and all this under 15k?
  • dizzy_kittydizzy_kitty Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    usman4673 wrote: »
    Since, I haven't started the program yet, therefore cant confirm if they do. But I'd assume, they do have advisers like any other university has. Which university do you go to? Are you going for MBA? Is yours asynchronous, full online program which is AACSB accredited and all this under 15k?

I'm not doing an online program. I'm working on my MSIT concentration in cyber at University of Texas.