Common interests I have noticed among IT guys.

Moon ChildMoon Child Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
Between the two IT jobs I have had I have noticed common personality and interests among IT workers.

When I worked as PHP programmer/ apprentice many years ago many of the programmers had played role playing games, WOW, Dungeons and Dragons, fantasy games. I notice the same thing with current job among the techs.

Interested in Fantasy and Sci-fi.

I always had interest in the fantasy/ Sci-fi and in Agatha Christie detective novels.

I played, too old to be playing, Dungeons and Dragons pen and paper at a game shop with some high school seniors a few years back. Both of them decided to get in IT field. They are in entry level like $10-12 IT jobs now.

I guess guys who are into Fantasy and Science-fiction are labeled geeks in high school and guys who love computers are labeled geeks so maybe it is the geekish connection.

lol.
... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula

Comments

• tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I never got into D&D, fantasy, or any of that. Not much into sci-fi, either, unless Star Trek and Star Wars count. I have read most of Harlan Ellison's works. I did read and collect comics (and even went to Comicon in Atlanta) until I was about 35. My interests, outside of computers, have been more focused on music (have played in bands since 1992), hot rods, history, and science (space exploration, etc.). I was pretty geeky in high school, though I drove a '69 Camaro. Crazy, huh?
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I know a lot that are into sci-fi, fantasy, etc.. I have a few co-workers and friends that aren't so big into that stuff at all. Football (one went through college with a football scholarship), cars, etc..

Me? Comics, video games (retro and current), sci-fi, fantasy, electronics, history, astronomy, etc.. Just a nerd with a hot wife living the dream. I was definitely a geek/nerd in high school. Got in trouble a few times because of it, too. But, it also limited my classes (I was big into computers for a long time, so I ended up knowing more than the 'general ed turned computer lab teacher'... Not bragging, but it was an issue in the early 90's in small towns. Now, the same school has a robotics club, play with Raspberry Pi's, learn basic programming (not BASIC like I learned and knew), etc.. I'm a bit jealous of what high schools have these days. Almost makes me want to be a computer lab teacher. :)
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Be very careful with stereotypes and generalisations. I've worked in plenty of places and never really been able to definitely describe the "IT person". There are a lot of different types that make up any field and the diversity is a good thing.

Also be careful as once you start painting people with a certain color you can begin to reject people who don't fit your stereotype/description.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    This gal never got into D and D and takes Scifi with a grain of salt (except maybe Star Trek..) LOL.. Stereotyping is a pet peeve with me. You'd be surprised what you find out about people once you stop with the stereotyping. Try it. icon_wink.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it is more common, yes. I'll be one to say I'm a geek and I love most of those things, but I also love sports, cars, and fitness too. I played WoW for like 8 years (ya I know...). I pretty much gave up hardcore gaming though after I started a career job / got married (to a wife that hates my gaming habits) and had kids (which kills nearly all my free time). I'm mostly a generic gamer at heart though. I never was really INTO the fantasy world stuff, I just played WoW because it was super popular and addicting. I still love SciFi too (Trekkie since 6th grade).
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    Funny, had this conversation a few weeks ago. But apparently there is a difference between the title of Geek and Nerd. Yet no one can agree which type is which.

Never played D+D, WoW, LoL (MOBAs in general). Never watched Star Wars or Terk. Never got into Harry Potter or LOTRs. Did like the first Matrix and I am a huge fan of old school Nintendo. What got me interested in Networking was how amazed I was with the internet back in the AOL days. I’m just a boring adult now days that likes to drink, shoot guns, hit up a hookah bar or cigar lounge and go diving at the nearest beach.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I hate to stereotype people, but I must say a majority of my colleagues throughout my tech career do live up to this image.

I lost my interest in games and comics as a teenager when my love for music and women developed. In my 20s my attention was captured by live concerts, beer, travel, and more women. Now I'm 30+ and married with children so I'm only allowed to be interested in one woman, but I do get a lot more beer now lol. We travel to visit family and I do make it to live shows occasionally. I still love literature (mostly about history), enjoy physical activity (jogging, swimming), and the only games I play now are poker and chess.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Without casting everyone in a stereotype, I would say many IT guys are geeky or rather obsessive in nature. Most IT guys I know have an outside interest and are "geeky" or obsessive about it. It can be gaming, comics.. or it can be another hobby like diving, music playing.

In my case, I was and still is a rather geeky guy(sci-fi, series..) and have a bunch of friends who are still as geeky as I was when I was teen (even if they are in their 40's) but I decided a long time ago that my career is more important than my geeky interest. Why want to play in a RPG the hottest Netrunner, when you can be a real one :)

However, I have my hobby to help me get out of IT. I love cooking and BBQ cooking. I also do KCBS BBQ competition...
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't quite fit the mold but for the opposite reason- I cared very little about computers and technology growing up- even into my 20's. I wasn't even a hardcore gamer so the tech connection was never there. I played AD&D throughout elementary to college and beyond. Collected (still collect) comics and enjoyed most of the major SciFi/ Fantasy franchises. I didn't get into IT until I saw it as a way out of retail and into a semi respectable career when my wife and I decided to get married. Prior to that I wanted to be a teacher or a cartoonist. Still do on that last one :)
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Moon Child wrote: »
    Between the two IT jobs I have had I have noticed common personality and interests among IT workers.

When I worked as PHP programmer/ apprentice many years ago many of the programmers had played role playing games, WOW, Dungeons and Dragons, fantasy games. I notice the same thing with current job among the techs.

Interested in Fantasy and Sci-fi.

I always had interest in the fantasy/ Sci-fi and in Agatha Christie detective novels.

I played, too old to be playing, Dungeons and Dragons pen and paper at a game shop with some high school seniors a few years back. Both of them decided to get in IT field. They are in entry level like $10-12 IT jobs now.

I guess guys who are into Fantasy and Science-fiction are labeled geeks in high school and guys who love computers are labeled geeks so maybe it is the geekish connection.

lol.

What does the interests you have have anything to do with how much you making? And why in every posts you make you have to tell us what you worked as or how much you making or how much your co workers and friends are making?

I don't get it man. Are you trying to justify that if they make $10 its ok for you to make $10 also?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've rarely met people that fit this stereotype in my career. I've also never really worked "IT department" type work though so maybe that's why.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I liked comics, computers, fantasy, sci-fi, etc since before I really started a career in IT. Then again, I was raised by trekkies so that might have something to do with it :) Nothing wrong with having a good imagination but there's no hard and fast rule that says that you have to like these things to get into IT. I think I might be the only one on my team that I work with and same with the previous company. Even if you don't like those interests, there's always common ground to find in other places. The whole stereotype of "lonely virgin IT guy" doesn't really exist anymore. Most folks I know working in IT still have spouses, lives outside of work, etc and I found the mix of folks who like the stereotypical "nerdy" stuff is probably just a normal mix just like any other career.

To also be fair, we live in a time where Marvel superheros dominate the small and large screen and you can't really go far in pop culture without seeing a Star Wars, Stranger Things or Game of Thrones reference so it's hardly something that's limited to IT.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I wouldn't say I fit the stereo types much. I don't really like Sci-fi at all other than Starwars if that counts. I don't play any MMORPG games or card type games, don't even know anything about them. I do play FPS games every now and then and racing games.

Most people look at me and see an overweight guy then they ask what I do and I tell them I.T. and I think they probably think I fit the stereo type because of that. Once they find out though how much I know about cars and guns and those are my true passions then they are surprised. Same goes for my co-worker who is also very into guns and a bit into cars.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I have none of those interests, the only video game I played was Super Mario and never touched a game console after... icon_lol.gif

I definitely don't fit in with the IT crowd, but that's okay icon_wink.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm an unusual tech, I am interested in BJJ/ boxing, hiking, running, the beach oh but I also play LOL and WOW so whatever shoot me. I got into scripting and tech with MUD games at 11-12 years old. Was popular among my peers.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    <...>

Amen! Speaking the truth
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I kind of fit the mold, was mainly a jock growing up but geeked out on sci-fi, video games and board games with a select group of friends. I'm still the same way but mostly given up video games. Last night I was a geek, tonight a jock, Saturday the partier. Three completely different groups of friends with the exception of the girl friend.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • NuclearBeavisNuclearBeavis Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've seen all types of groups and people in IT. The only thing I can say nearly 100% of them have in common is IT is their life, both at and outside of work.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I guess it depends on where you go though. I have to agree that IT is the common thing.

I sort of go away from the traditional nerdy stuff. I enjoy Star Trek and Star Wars but I enjoy cop shows as well. I enjoy shooting, riding on twos and traveling if I have the money.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In my experience the IT department is pretty diverse on the low tiers for sure. Many of the people are from other disciplines, I've worked in departments where people came from teaching, mechanics, lots of the liberal arts degree people who can't make it in their field, example art degree.
    Within the department the true "IT nerds" are usually pretty similar. They like computers, hardware, software, sci-fi/fantasy stuff, etc. One of the big things I've seen is most IT people tend to be hobby people (meaning they take liking something to the next level). Sometimes not, but its common.

Myself I'm into a ton of stuff, computer hardware and software is a serious hobby and business, if I'm not doing it for money I'm doing it for love.
    I'm not really into sci-fi except Star Trek. I enjoy tinkering with a military M35a2 "Deuce and a Half" truck, cars in general, I do some photography, astronomy, love camping and enjoying the beach.
  • biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have never been the prototypical "IT GUY" myself. I never really liked Star Wars or Star Trek that much, I have always been more into the western/horror genres myself. I guess part of that stems from growing up in West Texas during my formative years.
    I do (or did rather) play WOW, and plenty of other video games, like to read, and I have had numerous VW's and other hot rods over the years. I tend to find working on hot rods rather cathartic personally. Just something about being able to get in a car you built and start it up and drive it down the road, all the while thinking to yourself, "Hey, I DID THIS!!!"

I have been told by acquaintances numerous times that I am the most "non-nerdy IT guy" they have ever met. LOL, mostly because when I am not at work, all I want to talk about is what hot rod or car project I am working on at the time, lol.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How about this: I've never been a fan of Doctor Who. Disclaimer: I actually did like the David Tennant episodes and own them on DVD. Maybe this is heresy, but I just don't care for the show otherwise.

In college back in the '80s, some friends of mine would set their furniture including TV out on their lawn so they could watch Doctor Who under the stars.