April 2018 changes - advice needed

VictorVictor5VictorVictor5 Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
Greetings all,

I was pumped to take attempt CISSP at the end of December, but a couple of months ago I was in a bad car accident (drunk driver hit me - no insurance drunken_smilie.gifallout.gif). Long story short I am under doctor's orders to reschedule CISSP to let my brain heal (short-term memory issues). Yeah - I'm a bit mad.

But now the CISSP is going to change in April 2018, after I'm using various resources that are using the April 2015 8 domain.

Any suggestions? Should I just stop studying now and wait until new books come out?

Thanks!
VV5
B.S. Electrical Engineering, M.S. Electrical and Computer Engineering, PhD Electrical and Computer Engineering
J.D. Candidate (2L)
In the books: CompTIA Network+, Security+, CEH, Associate of (ISC)^2, GIAC: GSEC, GAWN, GCIH, GPEN, GCFA
ProBoard: FF I & II; HAZMAT: Awareness, Operations, and Technician; Fire Instructor I; NREMT: EMT-B. Next up: Fire Officer I
Currently Working on: PE-Electrical and Electronics, Patent and State Bars, and Juris Doctor (law degree)
Next: GCIA/GCWN and/or GCUX/PMP/GSE
Next after next: Med school!!!!! Lol

Comments

• tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That sucks AND blows! Sorry that happened. You should find out when ISC(2) is going to retire that current version. It very well could be after they launch the new version. So you may get some extra time.
  • VictorVictor5VictorVictor5 Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's actually not a bad idea (kind of like how CompTIA overlaps theirs). I'll post back.

Thanks tedjames!

VV5

P.S. The guy that hit me has it coming to him in court.
    B.S. Electrical Engineering, M.S. Electrical and Computer Engineering, PhD Electrical and Computer Engineering
    J.D. Candidate (2L)
    In the books: CompTIA Network+, Security+, CEH, Associate of (ISC)^2, GIAC: GSEC, GAWN, GCIH, GPEN, GCFA
    ProBoard: FF I & II; HAZMAT: Awareness, Operations, and Technician; Fire Instructor I; NREMT: EMT-B. Next up: Fire Officer I
    Currently Working on: PE-Electrical and Electronics, Patent and State Bars, and Juris Doctor (law degree)
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I heard and remembered to have seen on the web that the 2018 update will not be a major one. So I would continue studying, as CISSP is mostly based on concept rather trivia question. Look for the overlap between both exam, and depending on your condition schedule for 2015 or 2018 version.
  • moyondizvomoyondizvo Member Posts: 155
    Sorry about what happened, hope you will make a speedy recovery.

ISC2 does not normally make huge changes to their exams at once so I think you will be fine for a while with the material you are using even if the exam changes. Security principles and practices have remained relatively static, I believe that if you have adequate experience in the field, you can pass the CISSP exam using the old 10 domain material if you wanted. The difference in the material is not that much, you would obviously have to brush up on cloud security as that has a lot of focus of late. Bottom line, don't worry about it.
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The biggest thing I would look out for is if they make the exam adaptive. That would probably be the only thing that could throw you off.
  • VictorVictor5VictorVictor5 Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All,

First thanks for your concern. Much appreciated. I hope no one has to go through what I went through all because someone decided to drive when they were tanked.

As far as the response from ISC2, they said that since the changes are minimal, that I should be ok.

But this whole CAT thing, hmmm. I originally had mine scheduled for 12/30, so in a way I am glad to be rescheduling since there are bound to be some "hiccups" with the rollout.

VV5
    J.D. Candidate (2L)
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck in court and keep getting better! You'll kick this exam's ass, just as easily as the dirt bag drunk driver.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil