Studying with more than one book

AndrewiAndrewi Registered Users Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello guys,

I have just started studying for my CCNA R&S and I am wondering if my book, which is by Todd Lammle 200-125 is enough to get certified. I know some people from my school that are studying from both Todd Lammle and Wendell Odom. Is that a good or bad idea? What have Todd Lammle and does not have Wendell Odom? Will be considered a plus studying from both books or just a gather of ideas but at the end no benefits?
I'm the most complete human being in the world!

Comments

• NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    No, you need multiple resources to study from such as video courses and a lab so you learn how to configure networks.

Use Packet Tracer to practice as it's for free and apparently it's enough to pass for the CCNA if you don't want to spend any money on lab equipment.

Todd's book is a great place to start but make sure you use other books and watch videos.

Good luck!
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Personally I find the Wendell Odom book to be far superior for me but I have little experience working with Cisco. Odom just really digs into the nitty gritty, I also have the 101 labs for the CCNA book and 2 Udemy course. Of course I have to finish my A+ and Sec+ before I get to it but I want to start developing those skills now so that when time comes I'm ready to tackle each test in 3 months.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Todd Lammle offers Packet Tracer labs for those who purchase his books. See this thread - Post #15.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/127982-study-methods-ccent-ccna.html
  • Nik 99Nik 99 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think Todd Lammle is decent. Doesn't always explains small details that could have used a better run through. Network summarisation needed more work, as I'm not feeling remotely comfortable with his approach to doing it.

I'd say go with multiple learning resources from different mediums. A book, video series (I recommend pluralsight, Ross Bagurdes is a great teacher.) and lab. Packet tracer works, but far better if you can get gns3 or physical lab going. GNS3 especially since you can capture the packets and see the underlying protocols at work between each and every link / node.

@Ltat42a What?!Thanks for that info! I already followed his hands on labs in the book but didn't know about this
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All of the hands-on-labs (created in Packet Tracer) are included with those materials.
  • joshuamurphy75joshuamurphy75 Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One book has never been enough for any of my Cisco tests. Either get multiple books and/or video courses, or print out the exam topics and research everything in much more depth than you expect to need. Don't worry about studying too much, it might end up useful on the job.
  • AndrewiAndrewi Registered Users Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you guys for fast and good advices. I will buy Wendell Odom’s book. And yea, “overstudying” has never been bad.
    I'm the most complete human being in the world!
  • duta74duta74 Member Posts: 143 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've recommend to buy this bundle:
    CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-105 Official Cert Guide Premium Edition and Practice Tests
    CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-105 Official Cert Guide Premium Edition and Practice Tests | Pearson IT Certification

CCNA Routing and Switching ICND2 200-105 Official Cert Guide Premium Edition and Practice Tests
    CCNA Routing and Switching ICND2 200-105 Official Cert Guide Premium Edition and Practice Tests | Pearson IT Certification

CCNA Routing and Switching 200-125 Network Simulator, Download Version
    CCNA Routing and Switching 200-125 Network Simulator, Download Version | Pearson IT Certification

If you buy it now and use Black Friday discount code: BF2017
    Pearson IT Certification: Videos, flash cards, simulations, books, eBooks, and practice tests for Cisco, CompTIA, and Microsoft exams

you will receive: 2 Official books, Pearson Practice Tests for 100-105 and 200-105, 400 Network simulator labs based on that books just for: 103.47$ !!!
    Also 30 day unlimited access to https://safaribooksonline.com