The Hacker Playbook 2 or Georgia Weidman next?

yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
End goal being OSCP beginning June next year. I'm going to do a CSA+ beforehand.

Just finished The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing by Patrick Engebretson. Very readable and mostly review for me. Thinking Georgia Weidman's Penetration Testing: A Hands on Introduction to Hacking, followed by Peter Kim's The Hacker Playbook 2. This order is simply because of publish dates: Engebretson-2013, Weidman-2014, and Kim-2015.

I plan on doing Georgia's Cybrary course at the same time as reading her book. Not sure how that will work out exactly yet.

Is this a good read order?
A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
In progress: OSCP

Comments

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I read both and I think I read Georgia's book first but the order probably isn't critical.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Either one. Hacker's playbook is good for specific commands/tools along with a methodology where Georgia's book covers penetration testing as a whole/general concepts.
  • CyberCop123CyberCop123 Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd highly recommend the Georgie Weidman book

It is basically the OSCP syllabus. I read it for about a month or 6 weeks and it helped loads with the OSCP as I was able to skim a lot of the easier topics as I'd learned them from the book.

Ive asked for the hacker playbook 2 for Christmas though. Heard that is good
    My Aims
    2017: OSCP -
    COMPLETED
    2018: CISSP -
    COMPLETED
    2019: GIAC GNFA - Advanced Network Forensics & Threat Hunting -
    COMPLETED
               GIAC GREM - Reverse Engineering of Malware -
    COMPLETED

2021: CCSP
    2022: OSWE (hopefully)
  • supasecuritybrosupasecuritybro Member Posts: 206 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is a great resource putting some those different pieces together into a great study format.
    Completed: CISSP, GPEN, GWAPT, CCSA R80, eJPT, CySA+, M.S. Information Security
    Current Goal: CCSE
    Continuous Education Plan:​ AWS-SAA, OSCP, CISM
    Book/CBT/Study Material:​ Max Power
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would start with Georgias book first, she also has a video version of the book available for free on cybrary.it that covers everything in the book. The Hackers Playbook 2 is not for beginners as it clearly states in the first opening pages. So I would go with that one second because there is a big leap between it and Georgias book. Georgias book will give you a rundown of a lot of the basics that you need to know to get started, the hackers playbook does not do this and assumes you already an intermediate level of skill.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • BuzzSawBuzzSaw Member Posts: 259 ■■■□□□□□□□
    McxRisley wrote: »
    I would start with Georgias book first, she also has a video version of the book available for free on cybrary.it that covers everything in the book. The Hackers Playbook 2 is not for beginners as it clearly states in the first opening pages. So I would go with that one second because there is a big leap between it and Georgias book. Georgias book will give you a rundown of a lot of the basics that you need to know to get started, the hackers playbook does not do this and assumes you already an intermediate level of skill.

I'd second this ... I'd start with Georgia's book COUPLED with her cybrary course. The two go well together, and the book will help you fill in the pieces.

I love the HPB2, but I would start with Georgia's book as it will get you very familiar with Linux as well.
  • dstock7337dstock7337 Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yoba222 wrote: »
    End goal being OSCP beginning June next year. I'm going to do a CSA+ beforehand.

Just finished The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing by Patrick Engebretson. Very readable and mostly review for me. Thinking Georgia Weidman's Penetration Testing: A Hands on Introduction to Hacking, followed by Peter Kim's The Hacker Playbook 2. This order is simply because of publish dates: Engebretson-2013, Weidman-2014, and Kim-2015.

I plan on doing Georgia's Cybrary course at the same time as reading her book. Not sure how that will work out exactly yet.

Is this a good read order?

I think that is a pretty good start. I have those books myself. What I've found is that the other books out there help fill in gaps where another book is missing. Get both and also check out PACKT publishing books. They also have a free book give away at least daily. I've scored a couple security books that way. Also keep an eye out for book deals this week after Thanksgiving.

https://www.packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates
  • DigitalWhispersDigitalWhispers Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I came across this article on Cybrary a while back. It should help with doing some prep work for the OSCP.

https://www.cybrary.it/0p3n/prep-guide-offsecs-pwkoscp/
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    There was a Humble Book Bundle (entitled Hacking Reloaded) this past September which had 15 books from No Starch Press, including the Weidman book. All the books could be downloaded in epub, modi, and PDF format. You all should keep an eye out for such Humble Bundle deals.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    There was a Humble Book Bundle (entitled Hacking Reloaded) this past September which had 15 books from No Starch Press, including the Weidman book. All the books could be downloaded in epub, modi, and PDF format. You all should keep an eye out for such Humble Bundle deals.

I picked that one up and I'm really glad I did! The current bundle is a collection of Java books.
  • katawiakatawia Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »

If anyone should see such a deal can he/she please share the announcement and link before the time runs out?

Thanks in advance.
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    katawia wrote: »
    If anyone should see such a deal can he/she please share the announcement and link before the time runs out?

Thanks in advance.
    See http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/129280-humble-bundle-hacking-reloaded.html
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    katawia wrote: »

Thanks in advance.

How about 50% off (https://twitter.com/billpollock/status/933946091732480000) her ebook?