Options

Linux+

tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi,

Im asking this in the general certs are rather than the CompTIA area.

I've recently done an intro course in Ubuntu and as usual went way over the top getting into areas that are not on the course, having done about 20-25 hours already on Ubuntu. Wanted to originally do it as it counted as CPE for my SSCP and then figured I would start playing around with for Kali or go for the eJPT exam.

Enjoyed it a lot to the point that I will leave it on my laptop now and might do the CBT nuggets course as well ( companies bought licences anyway ). So as per usual Im thinking well.......do I do an exam in it?

Is this a worthy worthwhile addition to add to your certs collection ( seems a lot of security stuff prefers Linux ), price didn't seem too bad either.

Thoughts please and explainations?

Cheers,

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The info is useful but I don't see any/many people actually asking for the Linux+. If you were a linux sysadmin and wanted one of the RedHat certs, that would make sense. But as a security practitioner I just want to know that you can get around linux, use tools, etc, but I'd never ask for someone to have that cert.
  • Options
    tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OK cheers.

Might just go through the nuggets anyway and hopefully that should include some server side too.

Not desperate to have this but all knowledge is good and it also seemed pretty cool!
  • Options
    xagreusxagreus Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You might also consider the LFCS (Linux Foundation Certified System Administrator). Here are a couple of discussions about the differences between the LFCS and Linux+ certs:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/linux/124034-linux-vs-lpic-vs-lfcs.html
    https://linuxacademy.com/community/posts/show/topic/12562-lpic-vs-lfcsa

The LFCS is one of two certs you would need for MSCA: Linux on Azure. That, in turn, gets you well on the way to MSCE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure. Good stuff if you're interested in more Microsoft knowledge/skills.
    A+, Net+, Sec+, CySA+, CCNA, ITIL 2011 Foundation, AWS CCP, ISC2 CC, MS SC-900, MS AZ-900
    2024 goals: AZ-900, Cloud+, Palo Alto PCNSA, CyberOps Associate, DevNet Associate, Project+
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have no work experience with Linux, then Linux+ can be beneficial in meeting a job requirement of "Linux experience," as long as it's not the primary thing for which they're looking.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This is something I need to look into in the future, I'm pretty much a Novice when it comes to Linux, I really need to know it better to advance in my career. While a good book is helpful, I really need structured exercises to force me to get more in-depth with it.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    This is something I need to look into in the future, I'm pretty much a Novice when it comes to Linux, I really need to know it better to advance in my career. While a good book is helpful, I really need structured exercises to force me to get more in-depth with it.

There are some great free and low-cost Linux courses on Udemy.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I suggest the LFCS instead of the Linux+.

There isn't much cert recognition for the Linux+ and there is almost none for the LFCS. But I believe studying for the LFCS is a much more rewarding learning journey than memorizing a whole bunch of command switches to pass a multiple choice exam like with the Linux+. LFCS is basically RHCSA level material only you can do it on Ubuntu or openSUSE too.

Studying for the LFCS is less straightforward though. Its domains and competencies are vague & overreaching and there is no single course/book out there that covers it properly for all three available distros--the laziest courses out there only cover Red Hat.

That said, I didn't really love any of the training materials out there, with Linux Academy being the worst of the bunch.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP