Network Job offer without Real network Experience

walter18walter18 Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

I got a job offer for a network technician role, the only experience I have is tier one technical support (3 years) and really basic networking experience, only certs I have is A+, Network+ and MS 7, currently busy with Security+.

Next certs in line: Server+, CCNA R&S, MCSA Win 10

Can you guys kindly assist me with advice om how I can be very good at network troubleshooting and become an asset to the company?

My theory is good because I read a lot but I lack in practical experience

thanks

Comments

• N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Aside from the CCNA studies you're already doing? Maybe find some packet tracer labs you can practice on.

Just found these through Google:
    Packet Tracer 7.1 labs - Packet Tracer Network

But personally, if the company knows your experience level and there is a senior employee there working with you, I wouldn't hesitate to jump in with both feet and go right at it. So long as there's access to Google, I'm very comfortable with learning on the job, as there are very specific contextual scenarios that even practice, bookwork, and simulations can't prepare you for.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
  • Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    I was in more or less the same place as you 9 months ago except I had already gained CCNA while on service desk.

The company know what they are getting with you. Make the most of it, don't be scared to pick things up, have a go at anything and keep learning
  • McElhinneyMcElhinney Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am also in a similar scenario as yourself. I have now been with my company less than a year and a half and have achieved the CCENT exam, and am currently working towards the CCNA R&S which is booked for next month. My company have invested in me and will also be sitting a CCNA Security course at the end of the month. The only way you are going to get that practical experience is by learning from your peers working on real-life scenarios. I say go for it!
    2017/2018 Certifications Gained: CCNA R&S, CCNA Sec.
    2018/2019 Certification Goals: CCNA Cyber OPs.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    don't let your fear decide your fate! Accept! Take a lot of notes and learn! icon_smile.gif You got this!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Moon ChildMoon Child Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I experienced a similar problem. When I left trucking and went back to my current job doing laptops I actually got a job offer to be a network technician, but didn't go in for interview. For one I have no previous experience doing networking and it was a short term contract. I read job description and I felt like they were just going to throw you in there without any training. They said all tools you need and some of the tools I never worked with in my life and had no idea what they looked like. You also had to drive all around the state sometimes more then 500 miles it said would be required to drive in a day in job description. They also didn't mention about reimbursing you for gas, I assume they would. You would be driving with your own car not a company car so putting tons of miles on your own car and running it down, I didn't like that I didn't want have to buy a new car due to all the miles would have to be driving every day. I answered all there online networking questions online and got a 100% on an online assessment, but it is one thing being a good test taker and another actually being able to do the job.

There is the risk of jumping into a job that might not work out or starting something with no previous work experience doing it. I decided to go back to the job I knew I could handle working on laptops, we do a little networking on the job about as far as diagnosing networking problems why the laptop won't connect to the network and trying to get it to boot from Win PXE.

I figured what I need most is more job experience in IT on resume right now, almost 2 years in December.
    ... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Best to pick the cert that complements the day-to-day activities you perform. But you won't know those until you begin working there. Doing it this way will make studying for it much easier, as you can lab on the job so to speak.

What if you dive head first into CCNA only to discover they use Brocade network stuff? Give it like 2 weeks into working there to decide and get feedback from them. You might even discover a cert that's not on your list to pursue this way. Maybe they'll pay for study materials and exam fees. Just give it a little bit of time.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    yoba222 wrote: »
    Best to pick the cert that complements the day-to-day activities you perform. But you won't know those until you begin working there. Doing it this way will make studying for it much easier, as you can lab on the job so to speak.

What if you dive head first into CCNA only to discover they use Brocade network stuff? Give it like 2 weeks into working there to decide and get feedback from them. You might even discover a cert that's not on your list to pursue this way. Maybe they'll pay for study materials and exam fees. Just give it a little bit of time.

Even if it is all brocade there's nothing else in the market which gives you the solid understanding that ccna does
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If they hired you knowing you don't have the experience, they're obviously planning to train you up. Unless you lied on your resume to get the job, in which case...... good luck. But as long as you were honest with them, just be ready to learn when you get there.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    walter18 wrote: »
    Hi,

I got a job offer for a network technician role, the only experience I have is tier one technical support (3 years) and really basic networking experience, only certs I have is A+, Network+ and MS 7, currently busy with Security+.

Congrats on the Job Offer.
    Congrats on the A+ and Network+.
    Future congrats on the Sec+.

But, you will need to decide which discipline you want to pursue further.
    If you want networking stuff... go CCNA.
    If you want M$ Server stuff... go MCSA.

But dont try to do both (you will have plenty of time later in your career)
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi,

Can you guys kindly assist me with advice om how I can be very good at network troubleshooting and become an asset to the company?

thanks

They want you, because they know they can mold you into the Network analyst they want you to be.

I would also look at the read over the CASP CAS-002 book as well.
  • RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    Forget Comptia, another cert from them won't make any difference. Put Microsoft on the back burner, the knowledge could be helpful but isn't really critical. Dive into Cisco completely. Cram for the CCENT for basic knowledge, but depending on your work environment maybe consider Datacenter for some Nexus coverage. CCNA R&S only covers IOS, this isn't a bad thing but you will have a learning curve if you have to work in a large enterprise network.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hi,

thanks
    If you take a network job, the FIRST thing you SHOULD NOT do is start studying things unrelated to networking. If the company is a Cisco shop, you should immediately start going down the Cisco path...CCNA > CCNP (at minimum)...Juniper shop just do the equivalent. Of course this is assuming it's an actual networking position not a network / system combo.

Honestly, it's even up for debate if you should get Security+, but since it's a pretty quick one to knock out it's no big deal...unless you literally just started it or are nowhere near test ready.
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Find a work colleague that you get along well with and is willing and patient to help a new hire. Shadow him/her whenever they go out to troubleshoot, engineer, or configure network equipment. OJT is one of the best ways to get trained, and nothing motives one training like a sink or swim situation.
    Just make sure you swim.
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would go balls out and learn as much as I could as quickly as I could before I got fired if I got fired. Lot of a lack of sleep.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Bjcheung77Bjcheung77 Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't sweat it, they hired you as they can see you're still "green" and learning. It's good for both the company as they can take you under their IT/Network team, they will obviously have a supervisor for that department to delegate "stuff" for you to do. You won't be left alone to fend for yourself. Think of it as a great learning experience and a step in the right direction to getting up that corp ladder in IT!

Update: In regards to additional certs, continue with the CompTIA as you're familiar with them... go for the Security+ and Server+, move to Project+. Having some vendor neutral certs to advanced into a more specialized field when you've got more experience would be best. Do you have a degree? If not, then work towards the Associates, if you already have an Associates, then work towards the Bachelors.

3 Things to work on. 1) Experience, 2) Degree (Associates first, if needed a Bachelors), 3) Certifications