Certified CISSP CPE requirement compliance

jercxjercx Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
for all the certified CISSPs out there, how do you comply with the CPE requirements? do you mostly attend webinars? trainings? seminars?

what's your ratio/distribution among the many CPE options?

Comments

• cbkihongcbkihong Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For me, Brighttalk webinars + ISP magazine + local secure events (if any that year). Brighttalk webinars are good because you don't need to do any quizzes, so 1 CPE per ISC2 webinar secured automatically and you don't need to worry about entering those CPEs manually.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cbkihong wrote: »
    For me, Brighttalk webinars + ISP magazine + local secure events (if any that year). Brighttalk webinars are good because you don't need to do any quizzes, so 1 CPE per ISC2 webinar secured automatically and you don't need to worry about entering those CPEs manually.

That is one-way, i do it too
    1 other way is take 1 certifications per year and claim the CPE's.
    1 other way is to attend events offered by Gartner or other big companies attend 2-3 days there and you get 8 cpes per 8 hours.

There's a lot of ways to do it.
  • cbkihongcbkihong Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Taking 1 certification per year to satisfy CPE -> more CPE requirements from additional certs -> Take more certifications

Sounds more like a vicious cycle to me. That's certainly a nice option if one is in a situation requiring to maintain a lot of certifications anyway. In which case, that is a good excuse to study more certifications. Maintaining a single CISSP is already a bit of hassle to me (both in terms of time and money). So while this scheme may work for many on this forum, it's definitely not for me.

Put it in another way, it's like paying your credit card debt borrowing from another debtor. icon_wink.gif

BTW, when I started out I tried the read whitepaper option by reading some SANS ones, but quickly found out it was a bad idea because they only give you 1 CPE presumably for 1 hour spent, but most SANS whitepapers take you at least 3-5 hours each if you would really like to understand and delve deeper, in the contrary to just doing some casual reading.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Easy way... Pluralsight or other CBT.. 1 hour = 1 CPE. Reading ISC2 magazine for 2 CPE each (6 time a years) = 12 CPE.

1 or 2 conference or training per year.. a lot of CPE in a fun format :)

Also, multiple ISC2 cert mean that CPE could count to each of your certs if the activity apply to the domain of all your CPE. But I think there are so much overlap that 90% of CPE would overlap (SSCP, CISSP, CCSP by example). So even with 3 certs, it would only need 40-50 CPE to maintain in case if some CPE activity dont overlap on 2-3 domain.
  • sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can also earn CPE by delivering a security related presentation or paper at a seminar.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    sameoj wrote: »
    You can also earn CPE for delivering a security related presentation or paper at a seminar.

I don't want to offend you, but you get CPE for preparing the presentation not for doing it. For a presentation of 1h, then up to 4 CPE can be claimed for the preparation.(the ratio is 1 CPE by 0.25h of preparation). Then if you present 10 times, you don't get CPE for each one.