Options

There are only 3,736 SSCP's in the world

hxhxhxhx Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
There's a lot of advice about the path to the CISSP that says people should take the SSCP first. I just checked the numbers. There are 3,736 SSCP's in the world (2,295 in the US). There are 120,149 CISSP's in the world.So either people are allowing their SSCP's to expire or
people aren't accepting the common wisdom.There is one other interesting factThere are 1,791 job listings on LinkedIn for SSCP's. 1,791 represents 48% of SSCP's.There are 18,803 job listings for CISSP's. 18,803 represents 15.6% of CISSP's.The SSCP is being updated in April just like the CISSP, so now is the time to prepare for it.https://www.isc2.org/About/Member-Counts

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So you are saying that the rest of CISSP's which is 84.4% have jobs. While only 52% of those with SSCP have jobs. Is that what you are trying to say?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    It was a very long time before there were even 1000 certified SSCPs. The (ISC)2 has not put nearly as much marketing effort in driving the SSCP as it has the CISSP. The SSCP was suppose to be an "easy" security cert one could get right after college (assuming you had a year of InfoSec work experience too), but the Security+ has always been the "my first InfoSec cert" benchmark since 2004.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Agreed about Security+ usually being the first one people get. Usually if people recommend SSCP, it’s because it covers a lot of the CISSP domains so I’m effect you are studying for the CISSP at the same time.
  • Options
    trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hxhx wrote: »
    So either people are allowing their SSCP's to expire or
    people aren't accepting the common wisdom.

what would be the reason to keep SSCP for CISSP holders?
    SSCP - it's not really different cert, just small version of CISSP.

I have SSCP, only because experience requirements. I'm not really happy with "Associate with ISC2" so decided to sit CISSP in future, when I will be fully ready for this.
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

• Options
    hxhxhxhx Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    So you are saying that the rest of CISSP's which is 84.4% have jobs. While only 52% of those with SSCP have jobs. Is that what you are trying to say?

I'm not saying that or anything like that. I'm pointing out the demand relative to the supply. Of course, the demand of SSCP's is very small compared to the CISSP.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The fact the SSCP is pretty much the equivalent to the Security+, makes anyone with the Sec+ have almost no need for the SSCP. (The GSEC is also a comparable cert) The CISSP has no equal when it comes to high level general security cert. I would find it hard to even recommend the SSCP over the Sec+.
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    The fact the SSCP is pretty much the equivalent to the Security+, makes anyone with the Sec+ have almost no need for the SSCP. (The GSEC is also a comparable cert) The CISSP has no equal when it comes to high level general security cert. I would find it hard to even recommend the SSCP over the Sec+.

Someone tell WGU that...
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    shoeyshoey Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hxhx wrote: »
    I'm not saying that or anything like that. I'm pointing out the demand relative to the supply. Of course, the demand of SSCP's is very small compared to the CISSP.

I don't really think you can compare the two certs like this... It's pretty safe to assume that most job postings that require the SSCP would be willing to accept a CISSP in it's place.
    "I have missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
  • Options
    palmett0palmett0 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed Sec+ almost 10 years ago. Last year I had the time and wanted to work on getting more certifications since my company will pay for them; and I wanted to start building toward the CISSP. My first one was the SSCP. It was good to re-learn a lot of concepts I had previously learned for Sec+ because I did not see them on a day to day basis at my job.

Is the SSCP worthwhile? I think so.

Is it worth more than Sec+ if you only want one or already have Sec+? It depends. I did get the CEU's for passing the SSCP without too much effort. Trying to decide between the 2 is basically choosing to go with Comptia or ISC2. My own personal opinion is the CE requirements for ISC2 is more lax than Comptia even though they do require more hours. CE fees are also higher on the SSCP vs Sec+. Sec+ is definitely more well-known. A better job search comparison would be between these two.

On another note, I wonder what percentage of SSCP holders are members of this forum.
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    palmett0 wrote: »
    On another note, I wonder what percentage of SSCP holders are members of this forum.

I'm one. I earned SSCP after Security+ because I didn't yet have the experience for CISSP and, like another poster, did not want to deal with the whole "Associate of ISC2" thing. Also, I felt that SSCP expanded on what I learned for Security+.