NOC Job Offer

nothimagainnothimagain Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
So i'm a month out before im finally out of the military (4 years) and was recently offered a job in the DMV area at a NOC that requires a clearance. The schedules seems pretty crazy but then again im kind used to it already because of the military lol. It would be 12 hours working shifts panama schedule(2 on 2 off, 3 on 2 off, 2 on , 3 off) rotating to nights every 8 weeks and i'd also be doing roughly a 1 hour commute to work.. From the Job description it seems like its not just a clear this alarm and escalate it to the network engineers type of job either. The thing is now i have a family and a new born son of 4 months and not sure if its worth it. Im down to make sacrifices for the better of my career , but does working in this type of environment actually enhance your career in networking that much ? Also i dont know where i'm going to be able to fit my studies for CCNP and online school in there. Seems like i wont have much of a life if i do decide to end up working there.

Comments

• Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    The commute is a bit much but not much further than mine currently is.

If its your only offer then you may as well take it. You should have time to study during night shifts
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's a crazy schedule and very confusing after a while. Not to mention it will mess with your body after a while. I am not going to tell you not to take the job but personally i'd keep looking.
  • nothimagainnothimagain Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    That's a crazy schedule and very confusing after a while. Not to mention it will mess with your body after a while. I am not going to tell you not to take the job but personally i'd keep looking.

I was thinking about doing it only for a year to gain some experience and get my CCNP during that time and get Jr Net Engineer position next year.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've never been a fan of rotating schedules but you do have to suffer a bit when you're getting started. If you're doing tier-2 work (as opposed to the tier-1 of clear the alarm and escalate) then it's probably worth doing for the experience. Just be very clear with your wife what this will entail and that she's on-board. Sometimes that hardest part for the other person is trying to be quiet around the rotating schedule so you can sleep.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Any job is better than no job, especially with a young family. I'd keep looking too though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Id take it.... BUT I would look into moving to the DMV area to be closer to work....

I have done the hr commute back and forth and its KILLER!!!! you will get tired of it... traffic is bad even WITH a ezpass. Where in the DMV will you be working? alexandria, vienna, reston, McLean, Fairfax, are all nice areas to live.... Silver spring MD is nice too. Consider moving closer to your job OR taking the vanpools to work.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • nothimagainnothimagain Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Chantilly area but im by Stafford right now. I might look into Van Pool once i actually start working. Eventually , im planning to move more North towards chantilly area.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd do it for up to 1 year and start applying elsewhere 6 months in. Excellent stepping stone to a better job. Rotating shift sucks but now is probably the best time in your life where you are capable of dealing with it. Don't do more than a year though; that kind of sleep pattern really does age your body long term.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Ben1373Ben1373 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used to work a similar schedule (12hrs, night shifts every 2 weeks, 2 on 3 off, 3 on, 2 off. at an MSP. This schedule completely destroyed my body clock, I also become pretty depressed. I put on a lot of weight because I was eating crap during night shifts. Sure it was nice having days of in the week. But I wouldn't go back to those shifts for all the money in the world.
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Chantilly area but im by Stafford right now. I might look into Van Pool once i actually start working. Eventually , im planning to move more North towards chantilly area.

Small world...
    I used to live in fredericksburg VA not too far from stafford... I used to work at the Stafford Best buy at the stafford marketplace!

Trust me that traffic is terrible!!!! garrisonville RD exit is horrible... plus the woodbridge exit for dale city is a nightmare... A tip I will tell you is if you get off on the Dale city exit and just keep going straight instead of getting off... you can bypass most of the morning traffic... people do it all the time. then when the lanes merge together just get off on the next exit and keep straight don't get off... that will put you in front of traffic too... I did it all the time when I was commuting to DC everyday, and when I worked in Dulles.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios