Options

csr1000v hanging at Booting the kernel after I enable platform console serial ??

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
csr1000v hanging at Booting the kernel after I enable platform console serial on the cli.
everything worked great.
I heard that console serial doesnt work in the free license so i rebuild the esxi 5.5 and it is in eval mode
so why does my vm hang (csr1000v) after i enable the command platform console serial?
has anyone encountered this?
thanks for helping me.

Comments

• Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It’s not “hanging”, it is redirected to ESXi’s virtual console. You need to configure a virtual serial connection in the VM settings, set it to something like “[URL]telnet://10.10.10.10:2001”[/URL]. Then telnet using that ip and port. Problem solved. one note: you need a enterprise plus license on ESXi to do this. Free license won’t cut it
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    thanks man. you are right. i had the telnet correct the free license is killing me ...thank you for telling me this...can't i get a 60 trial of premium? and just rebuild it every 60days? where would I get premium for 60days? thank you.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There is a 60 day trial and I do believe the feature is supported there, but that is just a temporary fix. If you want a permanent fix, this is my opinion: Since the INE configs (If that's what you're using) use subinterfaces off of one interface (G1), I would setup a basic configuration prior that includes management IP configuration on a separate Gig interface (Gig2). Assign the G1 to the VM network facing your virtual network, isolated from the other networks, and assign Gig2 to an IP network you can reach from your laptop. Add other things i.e. AAA config, hardening, etc as needed. Then Snapshot that base config. If you have problems with management reachability, rollback to that snapshot (Initial snapshot). Also, make sure you enable the premium license (Needed for MPLS/IPSec) with #license boot level premium (And then accepting EULA). Keep in mind anything after 3.12 you must have a requested license from cisco (Which is not perpetual). On 3.12, you can just rollback to the snapshot when the 90 days are up. Lastly, using the "configure replace" command is your friend. Saves more time than rebooting the devices completely. I personally automate all of this with a python script I wrote, but some people don't feel like using time automating things, although I find its ROI more than worthy.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    thanks Wolfman! wow sounds like not your first rodeo hahha automation is our friend. I will see about this. thank you for such a long help comment bro.!