CISSP Training/Studying Question

mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have the opportunity to take a CISSP class for free/really cheap that would be from Jan - May. I know the test is supposed to be changing in April. Do you think I would have any issues brushing on anything new they might impose on the new test?

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Don't overthink this like many people are doing. The changes are usually minimal so whatever training you take now will certainly apply. Like you said, catching up with changes and new material should be trivial.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would do it specially if it is very cheap. The new revision change should be minor and most of CISSP material is about general security concept. At least 95% of your course should be applicable to the new version.

Also, I would have like to have this kind of class (over a few month) as it permit to study between each class. It also permit to meet other people who are studying too for the same certs. It let you have time to take some concept and relate to some your work. For my case, it permitted for me to understand some work process from a more managerial point of view and it permitted to me to change some work process to reflect my new knowledge for something more secure.

It is one thing to pass the exam, but the real quest is knowledge and concept. For that, it take time to let your brain assimilate the information and make it a way of thinking rather than just a bunch of trivia to pass a test.
  • mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Don't overthink this like many people are doing. The changes are usually minimal so whatever training you take now will certainly apply. Like you said, catching up with changes and new material should be trivial.

ok thanks! I really wanted to take advantage of the class but seeing that there was going to be a change had me nervous.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Content changes, such as what are you referring to, generally aren’t anything to worry about. The big change is in December when the exam goes to adaptive.
    Look on CCCURE a review of the change for 2018... nothing to worry about. A few reordering, and a bit of IOT :)

https://cccure.training/m/articles/view/NEW-CISSP-CBK-version-is-coming-out-in-April-of-2018
    You think that's going to negatively impact the test or make it harder? In reference to the CAT...
    I think CAT will not really affect you as you will prepare accordingly. If you know your stuff, you will pass it CAT or not. Also, if you are doing the test in Q3-Q4 of 2018, it will give them the time to sort of all issue and pass rates.

In some way, it will make the exam shorter.
    Not in some way...the exam is literally going to 3 hours and at most 150 questions so it definitely will be shorter.

As long as they don’t botch the implementation of CAT, then it will be fine.
    It will be shorter, but I think most people will take more time per question as there is no way to come around. When I took the exam, when I read the question and I was just uncertain. I flagged and came back later.
    So do y'all think the shorter time and less questions will make it harder or easier given that they will also be implementing CAT?
    For me, I think it will be harder, as I feel I will get more nervous because I cannot go back. I know that when I start a test(anyone), that the first quarter of question are flagged a lot, as to let my stress get out and I get into the "zone".

But I think, the pass rate will be similar, the question not harder or easier.
    It’s adaptive...if you do well it will be harder, if you do poor it will be easier.

Cisco and GIAC don’t let you go back so if you have taken any of those exams it won’t be that different. I like the idea of not going back because you have to focus on the current question and forget about the past. If you are a perfectionist, you might run into trouble.

Some people might run into a brick wall with the 6 hour exam so I could see that helping some and hurting those who need the extra questions...I don’t see the average of people passing or failing changing too much.
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    Some people might run into a brick wall with the 6 hour exam so I could see that helping some and hurting those who need the extra questions...I don’t see the average of people passing or failing changing too much.

I would be curious to know the average time needed for completion. I took 2h, I know it is fast(even for someone english native), but I find it a bit unbelievable that some people cannot complete because of time limit. If yes, either they don't know their stuff or they are overthinking the question.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    As TechGuru stated above: People have been overthinking this test for close to two decades. Its a concepts test not an engineering test with lives on the line.

Second, yeah the exam is dropping what 100 questions and 3 hours of test time? Really? How much easier do we need to make this exam? Back when I proctoring these exams I saw people practically needing to be pried out of their seats at the six hour mark because they felt unready to hand in the exam. Most people took about 2.5 hours with 250 questions and appeared to have past no problem. Of course at the time the whisper number concerning the pass rate was about 20-25 percent. Today the whisper rate is well over 80 percent.

Simply put the exam is fairly easy compared to years past. Learn the material, take the exam and finally, pick up the results at the front desk.

- b/eads
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think CAT will not really affect you as you will prepare accordingly. If you know your stuff, you will pass it CAT or not. Also, if you are doing the test in Q3-Q4 of 2018, it will give them the time to sort of all issue and pass rates.

How long do you guys think will it take ISC2 to sort things out given the introduction of CAT? I will be starting my preps in January 2018 and would like to give the test a shot by Q2.

I would have preferred taking the 250Q exam though given the chance (and if I have a second language that still qualifies for it)..
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]