Junior Systems Administrator making 45k in NYC

routingbyrumorroutingbyrumor Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, guys I was wondering if this is an average range that a Junior Administrator makes? I just took an offer as a Junior Systems Administrator managing Unix and Linux servers at this rate? Is this a average rate? A little about me just graduated college with about 2 years experience in Networking, I have been a technician for most of the time and helpdesk for the rest. Is this a good start?

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Any start is a good start. Don't be so worried about the money right now (which by the way is OK for your experience level)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • routingbyrumorroutingbyrumor Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks blargoe, I'll take your advice I guess with more experience comes better pay. The money will come eventually I hope.
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Yeah...I agree...if you can take a job for less money to get the administration experience needed to make the big bucks, take it.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Those are the jobs that land you "the job"
  • DeJayDeJay Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    45K is a fair salary for that job in the midwest, but I think in NYC a fair salary for a junior sys admin would be closer to 70K.
  • RATTLERMANRATTLERMAN Member Posts: 151
    I guess its all about getting that start.

What types of tasks would a "Jr Net Admin " do

In the Atl its hard to find Jr positions you either doing helpdesk/desktop support or Net Admin not much in btwn.

Unless you are working for a small firm that wants to combine both positions.
  • Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    Wow... my first job was 28K a year, so you should be very happy with what you got. I understand that different states need to be factored in with cost of living, but that's pretty darn good.
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    DeJay wrote:
    45K is a fair salary for that job in the midwest, but I think in NYC a fair salary for a junior sys admin would be closer to 70K.

And you base that on what, exactly?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    rattlerman:
    Thinking about moving to Atl. About to graduate. Are you saying the job market there is bad. I assumed it might give me a better chance of finding a job considering my experience or lack of.??
    lungsucker.jpg
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    emmajoyce wrote:
    rattlerman:
    Thinking about moving to Atl. About to graduate. Are you saying the job market there is bad. I assumed it might give me a better chance of finding a job considering my experience or lack of.??

emma,

Just start applying for job everywhere. If you are willing to relocate, do a search for job everywhere in the U.S. and pick and choose. Do not be discouraged because you do not have experience yet. Everyone had to start from no experience. YOu can also read many here who have gotten nice paying jobs without the experience, but they knew there stuff and slammed all of the interviews...me being one of them. YOu are about to graduate, I assume college, and you have a rack of certifications, you shouldn't have a problem getting a job.

Do a search on monster.com, careerbuilder.com, dice.com, and even USAJobs to look for the MANY I.T. positions available accross the nation. Apply, apply, apply...the can only say yes or no. My opinion.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)