Passed SSCP today

capricorn80capricorn80 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi!

Thanks to God I have passed my SSCP exam today.

I need some information.

I am pretty sure I didnt select Associate option while registering exam as I always wanted full SSCP certification.

I have 8 years System Administration experience and Master degree in computer Networks.

I have passed CCNA and CCNA Security last year and working with security.

I will get more info but just want to know whats the process of SSCP ceritircate?

Sorry for asking again but too eager to get the info :).

Thanks

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have 8 years System Administration experience and Master degree in computer Networks.

Grats on the pass!

Any reason you didn't go for the CISSP? 8 years of Sys Admin work should have the requirements for it all covered.
  • capricorn80capricorn80 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks.

I found SSCP book from a friend and then started looking for this certification and found that SSCP is more related to hands on kind of thing like me as System Administrator and CISSP is more like a managerial kind of thing and I always wanted to work with technologies.

I can be wrong but told you why I selected this.

Next is CCNP security track and Cyber certifcation :)
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks.

I found SSCP book from a friend and then started looking for this certification and found that SSCP is more related to hands on kind of thing like me as System Administrator and CISSP is more like a managerial kind of thing and I always wanted to work with technologies.

I can be wrong but told you why I selected this.

Next is CCNP security track and Cyber certifcation :)

That's why I chose SSCP. Look on ISC2' website for endorsement information. You'll have to get someone who is ISC2-certified to endorse you.
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I totally get the reason for the taking the SSCP over CISSP if you want learn more technical aspects. The only problem with these certs is the position you most likely are wanting to get, will ask for the CISSP over the SSCP. Unless you're going after entry level positions that is.

Personally, and this is what I'm actually doing, is going for my CISSP and just learning whatever other technical aspects I feel I should know on the side.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I see the SSCP as an alternative to Sec+ and I took it on my way to CISSP... I wanted to have a feel of an ISC2 exam, and of the endorsement process. SSCP was a great that preparation, because it was less expensive than CISSP and I was almost prepared. Finally, I like having multiple certification :)
    Thanks gespenstern.

NetworkNewb SteveLavoie
    One thing I read is to don't think or do about anything else when you are preparing for CISSP exam. I also heard from guy saying dont even go for childrens if you are preparing of CISSP :D .

That was one of the thing that taken me away for it as well. Not denying that CISSP is the big thing right now but I am also stuck with other things and not working fully with security domain. When I read SSCP book first time and read about that its more related to Techie stuff then I thought to go for it.

I am working in lot of domains right now. CISCO ASA, Routers, Windows, DHCP, SIEM, Vulnerability fixing,patching and user support etc etc. So its hard to focus on one thing at a time.

@NetworkNewb
    May be I will go for CISSP in future but right now happy that atleast I have SSCP :D. I agree that CISSP put you in more higher level. I saw job advertisment where they combine the requirement of being CCNA and CISSP.

go Q: How difficult it is to for CISSP after SSCP? I just read Darril Gibson book and did some online questions available on skillport.
    One thing I read is to don't think or do about anything else when you are preparing for CISSP exam. I also heard from guy saying dont even go for childrens if you are preparing of CISSP icon_biggrin.gif .

Sure the few last 1-2 month before your CISSP exam can be a bit focused on that goal, but if you need that much dedication, perhaps you are not ready. My CISSP journey took me 2 years, I studied on-off for CISSP, then Sec+ (that I didnt do), then in Fev 2017, I did a sprint of study for SSCP in March. I then did Veeam VMCE as I needed it for our partnership with Veeam. From June to mid september, I was more reading for CISSP and taking it lightly. Then 2 month sprint for final preparation for CISSP. By studying over that much time, it help me integrate the concept rather than just memorizing them. Today (2 week after the exam), I think that the exam is not even difficult, a lot of thing to know but not hard.

Also, just to let you know a bit about myself, I have 15 years of mixed sysadmin, dba, dev, security, consulting experience in a VAR and I am an avid reader.

Finally, I would say that the exam is twice harder than SSCP. The hardest is to acquire the right mindset (more manager like), that 50% of the increase in difficulty. The rest is just other concept. I would read more than 1 book for CISSP, Gibson's AIO is right for SSCP, but for CISSP, I read many book (Official study guide from Sybex, Eric Conrad study guide and 11th hour, the CISSP CBK for reference and a few chapter of Shon Harris AIO)
    Thanks Steve for the input.

I am all waiting for Isc2 to more details. Will I get more information about test like percentage as I just got paper about congratulation after the exam.
  • shoeyshoey Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think a lot of people need to really focus on studying because those with a more technical background (while fully understanding the material) have trouble training themselves to answer from a managerial standpoint (this was my issue). I found myself fighting the answers even when I knew what they were looking for.

That being said, I agree with SteveLavoie that the CISSP is substantially more difficult than the SSCP. Also, if you don't know any (ISC)2 members, I believe there is an alternate option to have (ISC)2 act as your sponsor.

Congrats on the pass!
    "I have missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
    shoey wrote: »
    I believe there is an alternate option to have (ISC)2 act as your sponsor.

Congrats on the pass!

I asked (ISC)2 for endorsement for my SSCP. I answered a resume-like form with the applicable domain for my experience. Then 3 weeks later, I was SSCP. I asked for my CISSP this way too, and still waiting :)
    I have asked my senior colleague and submitted my documents. After I submitted by Masters Degree then in the experience section it said Job history is not required as I submitted the experiecen waiver and I can proceed to the next step.